Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding

MartyP88

So this is my set up, I bought it used two weeks back and have used it once.

iEXOS-100 PMC-Eight, Altair Starwave 70ED, I also use my own stock canon 2000d.

Atik16HRC OSC Imaging Camera. I got this camera with it but I haven't used it yet as it needs to be hooked up to the laptop and I'm assuming you'll be software to run it also? I can't really find anything online in regards to it.

I am waiting for delivery of a Sky-Watcher / Celestron PowerTank 7Ah today and also getting an interverlomator for the flat today from a friend.

I am wondering if it is worth getting guiding equipment, I was looking at the either of these, obviously the cheapest option would be perfect but I don't know if I am needing the (computer) box thing that comes with the camera?

all help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Screenshot_20210224-143312.jpg

Screenshot_20210224-143304.jpg

35 minutes ago, MartyP88 said:

I am wondering if it is worth getting guiding equipment, I was looking at the either of these, obviously the cheapest option would be perfect but I don't know if I am needing the (computer) box thing that comes with the camera?

Hi.

The "computer box thing" is an ZWO ASIair and refering to the ZWO website the Canon 2000D has not been tested for use so you might be taking a risk regarding compatibily if you go that route. My view of the ZWO Mini Guide Scope is not that positive but others may have had a more positive experience. I also own an EvoGuide 50ED and that (IMHO) is a much better guide scope and some on here even use it as a light weight imaging scope with very good results. I've only have positive experiences with the ASI120MM-Mini.

I am a big fan of the ASIair (I own one of the originals - not the Pro); it is without doubt one of the best things I have bought for astro-photography and has transformed my imaging experience.

Good luck with your deliberations.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Typo

This would be an even cheaper option:

Sky-Watcher 9x50 Finder & ZWO ASI120MM-Mini Bundle | First Light Optics

I use the same set up to guide my ED80 and it works fine (but you will need a laptop). You could buy this plus ASIAIR separately which removes the laptop issue and it is still cheaper than the other set up above. The 50mm finder guider is probably better than a 30mm scope with a slightly longer focal length. FWIW I you might find some flex with the guidescope mounting - try it an see.