Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyguiderPro wedge part - is it really metal?

vineyard

I had a bit of an accident yesterday and my tripod with a the iOptron wedge & SkyguiderPro fell over.  The wedge broke (luckily everything else ok, camera wasn't attached yet!) - specifically one side of the saddle that bolts into the wedge, where the SkyguiderPro would sit - so now it can't be clamped in.

Brings to mind 2 Qs.

What is this saddle made of that it could break so easily on an impact - I didn't think metal would break like this?

Is there a clever replacement of just this part, or is the whole thing a write-off?

Cheers.

H8rgqaE1QyuDxn+Nzb6TXA.jpg

Ouch! 

Metal can shear like it appears to have done for you; I have the same SkyGuider and never questioned that this part wasn't metal.

There is a fancy Williams Optics replacement for the base part that has glowing reviews and is supposed to be much superior, but is a little expensive. Otherwise a replacement from iOptron can be purchased too.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Spongey yes I was surprised to see it break like that.  I think I will probably go for the WO b/c it does get v good reviews- definitely pricier, but buy once is generally best long-term strategy I've found.  Have been trying to save for a rotator, so will just have to dip into that piggy bank 😕

Cheers