SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finding targets with ocular view screen shots

Spile

I finally managed to get M1 last night and I found it much easier to locate this time. 

I've previously tried printing from an atlas but matching what was on paper with the view from my EP was a real challenge.

What I did this time...

1. Fire up desktop version of Stellarium. 

2. Add my 42mm WA eyepiece to the ocular list. I had previously added my 8" Dobsonian. 

3. Use the search function to find Tianguan and switch to ocular view - Select 42mm EP

4. Copy screen and paste into Affinity Photo. Use Layer > Invert (to save printer ink) and print A4 hard copy.

5 Centre on M1 and repeat above. I also added a circle for my 24mm EP and a note to remember to target Struve 742.

I used the Telrad to locate, Tianguan and was delighted to see the EP view perfectly matched the printout. This made finding the nebula and binary easy.

I then added a sketches to the printouts and a note of the perceived colour.

Of course the good skies and no moon helped but I will be using the Screen shot > Invert > Print when I have a target than is dim or in a sea of stars. 

m1b.jpg

m1a.jpg

I prefer the realistic on-screen "look" of Stellarium but if you are printing charts Cartes du Ciel is easier because.

By default CdC prints black on white, so no need to copy/paste into a photo/graphics app.

You can place as many eyepiece or finder circles as you like on your chart within CdC before printing.

Just the job for star-hopping.

https://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start

Edited by lenscap
link added

Very cool, I think I probably need to look into this (or a really good star atlas) as I find the mobile version of Stellarium is totally unintuitive when I am out. My main trouble is getting guide stars available through the light pollution murk atm, I can see why GOTO is so popular :) 

Edited by wibblefish

21 minutes ago, wibblefish said:

Very cool, I think I probably need to look into this (or a really good star atlas) as I find the mobile version of Stellarium is totally unintuitive when I am out. My main trouble is getting guide stars available through the light pollution murk atm, I can see why GOTO is so popular :) 

I love Stellarium desktop but rarely use the Stellarium app as I prefer SkEye and its indirect mode. I would strongly recommend attaching your phone to the OTA and giving it a go. It does take time getting used to as the tracking can be erratic due to magnetic effects but it does "catch up" and with my Telrad greatly helps me.

I still refer to a paper atlas and use this one (http://www.deepskywatch.com/deepsky-atlas.html) printed out on 80+ sheets of A4! 

SkEye - looking.jpg

Edited by Spile