NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using my 1.25inch diagonal and ep with sw evostar 72ed

Hi, excuse my total ignorance and baffoonery on this matter. I would like to get an sw evostar 72ed in the future to compliment my star adventurer and az gti mount. I realise its a 2 inch focuser but could I use my 1.25inch diagonal along with my 1.25inch eyepieces and zwo asi120mc-s by using a 2 inch to 1.25 inch adapter. I know to use my dslr I need a extender tube to gain focus, I would buy a flattener if I could ever afford it. I'm just looking for advice on how to use my 1.25inch ep and zwo asi120mc-s with this scope without completely breaking the bank which will be low on funds after the 72ed purchase. Clear skies

One thing I've found when trawling astro retail websites is that there is always an adapter to do what you want, altho' it may be eye-wateringly expensive !

I've seen some SW 'scopes come with 2" focus tube , and have an adapter included to use 1.25" , if that's not so on the one you are looking at, something like this might do the trick :

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-2-to-125-reducer-adapter.html

• Like 1

Yes that's the sort of thing I was looking for thank you, as you said there's nearly an adapter to do everything for anything. Just wanted to be sure if I had the evostar 72ed I could connect my 1.25inch ep with no issues and also my planetary camera to save buying fresh ep's, thank you again. 

That's wild it doesn't come with a 2" to 1.25" reducer.  I had assumed they came standard with all ED/APO refractors.  Both of my ED/APO refractors (AT27ED and TS 90mm APO) both came with them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It shouldn't be a big deal to locate an aftermarket adapter.  Just make sure it is robust enough to resist the torquing of an eyepiece in a 1.25" diagonal.  This means you'll want a decently long 1.25" sleeve inside the adapter.  I've tried using a 2" to 1.25" adapter from a 2" diagonal for this, but it wasn't really up to the task.

• Thanks 1