Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Connector sizes - Thread count - skywatcher, Berlebach

Hi there, 

I'm trying to get an adapter to connect a Berlebach Report Tripod  (172 I think) to a Skywatcher Pier.  The Berlebach has a male thread which appears to be 10mm, which I presume is 10mm x 1 size?

The Skywatcher has a 3/8" female socket.  Does anyone know what the thread count (TPI) is?  I've estimated it at 16tpi but I could easily be wrong as 24TPI seems a much more common size.  Any help appreciated!

Per ISO 1222:2010,[1] the current tripod screw thread standard for attaching the camera calls for a 1/4-20 UNC[2] or 3/8-16 UNC thread.[3]

That is from wiki article on photo tripods.

1/4" is 20 TPI while 3/8 is 16 TPI

Maybe this will help?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/astro-essentials-3-8-photo-adapter-for-heq5-az5-tripod.html

This has M10 female on the bottom and 3/8" on the top - if that is sort of the thing you need.

I've used one of those to adapt my AzGTI to standard steel skywatcher tripod. It also accepts my Ball head mount as well - which has 3/8" connection:

image.png.74f278e9e50be91df975a9d10878471a.png

Thanks, that is really helpful - I've realised that in fact both the Berlebach and the Giro mount are M10 and only the Skywatcher AZ extension pier is 3/8.  Oddly enough the male 3/8 thread at the top of the Skywatcher pier actually fits the female thread at the bottom of the Giro Ercole mount.  Rather than buy an adaptor I have now switched around several mounts and Tripods; - it's all M10 to M10 and 3/8 to 3/8 now... and everything fits exactly right and is steady!

Does anyone know of a pier with M10 threads that is lighter than the standard CG5 one?  That thing is an absolute beast.  That's why I bought the Skywatcher AZ pier extension but it has 3/8" fitment and isn't as tall.