SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Used Losmandy HGM Titan

Viktiste

Hmmm! There is a 2nd hand Losmandy HGM Titan mount, about 5 years old for sale near me, priced around £4K. This got me thinking... Say I sometime in the distant future want to image with a large FL scope, for example Celestron 11 Edge HD. Would a Losmandy HGM Titan be as much mount as I would ever need? Or is that amount of money better spent in the distant future on something like a  Sky-Watcher EQ8-R or a Celestron CGX-L? I cant really find much user reviews/experiences online  with Losmandy mounts. 

Talk me out of this please...

• 1 month later...

I didn’t see anyone giving a response to you. Maybe better late than never? I have a Losmandy G11T mount which has the RA component of the Titan mount and the Dec component of the G11 mount. 

It holds my C11 very well. It is even stable with my C14. I have done some astrophotography with the G11T/C11 combination and the only issue I have had is the very long focal length of the scope, not

the mount.  I would think the Titan mount would be even better than my G11T for a big scope. 

I have owned my second hand G11 for over 15 years and it has never missed a beat.  At present it holds a Celestron C8 and a TS152 refractor side by side together with cameras, filter wheel etc. and a mini PC piggy backed on the TS152.  It is relatively easy to balance, stable and tracks reliably even with this load.

That said, you will undoubtedly also read of some idiosyncrasies with Losmandy mounts (not least the design of their worm blocks). Many of these can be dealt with by upgrades or after-market additions. I do not know a great deal about the HGM Titan but a good place to read about one owner’s experience of a G11 is at: 

http://www.wilmslowastro.com/tips/g11gemini.htm

There is a 2nd hand Losmandy HGM Titan mount, about 5 years old for sale near me, priced around £4K. 

Talk me out of this please...

@Viktiste Which model? 150 or 200?

Regardless - if you are truly not sure whether to go for it - If its still for sale, tell the seller to PM me, please..,  

🙂 

bsdsgl84

Thanks for the input and link folks 🙂

On 11/03/2021 at 23:28, bsdsgl84 said:

@Viktiste Which model? 150 or 200?

I don't know, it is  advertised as a Titan HGM. 

The seller links to this video, so I assume that is what he has 

I found the (ex Yahoo..-) usergroups for Losmandy:  https://groups.io/g/Losmandy_users/ but it is rather time consuming to find any useful information there.

On the usergroup there is some talk about hi-torque/lo-torque motors, any way to identify which ones the mount has?

According to the seller it has never been used, only assembled indoors. It includes the mount w/Gemini 2, tripod, 2 counterweights, a GSM device and a pole master.  The asking price is fair I think. It is a fair bit less than what a a brand new SW EQ 8 + tripod +  shipping/taxes would cost me.  

So: Buy a 2nd hand but unused  US made mount with 100 lbs capacity? Pay more for a new China mount with similar capacity...? Or just leave it for now?

I am thinking I will regret not going for the Losmandy...

Edited by Viktiste

12 hours ago, Viktiste said:

Thanks for the input and link folks 🙂

I don't know, it is  advertised as a Titan HGM. 

The seller links to this video, so I assume that is what he has 

I found the (ex Yahoo..-) usergroups for Losmandy:  https://groups.io/g/Losmandy_users/ but it is rather time consuming to find any useful information there.

On the usergroup there is some talk about hi-torque/lo-torque motors, any way to identify which ones the mount has?

According to the seller it has never been used, only assembled indoors. It includes the mount w/Gemini 2, tripod, 2 counterweights, a GSM device and a pole master.  The asking price is fair I think. It is a fair bit less than what a a brand new SW EQ 8 + tripod +  shipping/taxes would cost me.  

So: Buy a 2nd hand but unused  US made mount with 100 lbs capacity? Pay more for a new China mount with similar capacity...? Or just leave it for now?

I am thinking I will regret not going for the Losmandy...

Hello, 

The mount in the video is the HGM Titan 100 - rated for 100 lbs instrument capacity and not the HGM 200, which is decidedly larger. 

Like I said, if you do decide to pass on it, feel free to let the seller know there's someone else interested in the mount. 

Best of luck whichever way you go.., 

Best.., 

bsdsgl84