Colourful Carina

Epick Crom

Hi my fellow stargazers! Last night my patient wait for the constellation Carina to fully rise above my neighbours annoying gum tree that blocks part of my southern sky came to pass. I took the full opportunity to explore this constellation with my 10" dob, with a huge smile on my face😊

I started with the alpha star of Carina, Canopus. This star has an asterism of three stars above it which I name  "Canopus Crown". A charming sight which gives the impression of a crown above Canopus head. Below Canopus I arrived at the " Southern beehive" cluster NGC 2516. Having observed M 44 a few nights ago I can see the similarity. Next up was NGC 2808, a stunning globular in Carina. I used 267x to resolve its sparkling outer core, the core remained a bright haze of countless stars! Near this globular is the attractive double star with the interesting name of Vathoz Prior. Two white sun's seperated by 5.1".

My tour of Carina continued as I observed the Gem Cluster NGC 3293 for the first time. One word WOW! This compact circular open cluster looked absolutely breathtaking with blue, white and one red star. A gem indeed! Not far from the Gem Cluster is the mighty ETA Carina nebula with I observed next. I had previously observed all these objects through my previous observing instrument 20x80 binoculars but never through my 10" which is my first telescope. This nebula blew my mind, glowing nebulosity with at least five separate open clusters imbeded within it. I closely observed the main star responsible for this glorious nebula, Eta Carina. At high magnification I made out the Homunculus nebula that surrounds this giant star, an image made famous by the Hubble image. It looked almost like the Hubble image, only a lot smaller. Incredible! I finally turned to open cluster NGC 3532, the Wishing Well cluster. This is the most beautiful open cluster in the sky IMO. A blaze of multi coloured stars arranged in dazzling patterns had me in awe. I just couldn't stop looking at this wonderful sight. It was time to call it a night, a memorable session in Carina that will long live in my memory. Clear skies to you all!

Joe

• Like 7

Sounds like you had a fantastic experience looking at some objects I never get to see this far north, I enjoyed reading your report as your enthusiasm is infectious. Having said that, I am motivated to do some research on these objects considering your descriptions are so vivid, enjoy every outing with that big light bucket!.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Sunshine! I am very enthusiastic about our hobby, but last night was on another level in terms of so many beautiful objects I saw one after the other! I try to convey that through my report, if you ever come to the Southern hemisphere Carina is one of the highlights to observe. It is jam packed with amazing sights. Thanks for reading my rambling report!

15 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

A pleasure to read, if I find myself in Australia one of these wrong turns I always make, I’ll definitely send you a message, a sky tour would be nice!

Feel free to message me whenever you come down under, I will be happy to give you a sky tour of our southern skies!

• Thanks 1

Very nice report! As a beginner I had to google Carina Nebula. Wow, I can see why you are so thrilled with your session! I bet the viewing was amazing as you describe it! Is that target pretty easy to spot like the Orion nebula? It is a shame we cannot see it in the Northern hemisphere.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Very nice report! As a beginner I had to google Carina Nebula. Wow, I can see why you are so thrilled with your session! I bet the viewing was amazing as you describe it! Is that target pretty easy to spot like the Orion nebula? It is a shame we cannot see it in the Northern hemisphere.

Hi Kon. Yes the Carina nebula is clearly visible with the naked eye, and as easy to spot as the Orion nebula. The words I used to describe it and the region as a whole can't do it justice! It is a shame you guys can't see this up north as it is beautiful beyond description

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nik271 said:

I'm envious! Eta Carina region (and the Omega Centauri globular cluster to name another) are jewels of the southern skies denied to us who live north.

It is a pity Nik271 that you people in the north can't see the glory of the southern night sky. That been said, I also envy some of your northern objects we can never see here in the south! Omega Centauri globular cluster is indeed a wonder, I've observed it through binoculars but never with a telescope. I will give you an update once it rises high enough for me to observe!

44 minutes ago, Epick Crom said:

The words I used to describe it and the region as a whole can't do it justice! It is a shame you guys can't see this up north as it is beautiful beyond description

Stop teasing us please 🤪 We  need to book some flights to Australia after the whole Covid!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Kon said:

Stop teasing us please 🤪 We  need to book some flights to Australia after the whole Covid!

Yeah sorry mate 😁. True you need to book a flight here ASAP ( post Covid of course). I'm still a bit delirious at what I saw 🤯

• Like 1