Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storage in shed

Keep my Newtonian in an unheated ROR (ie converted shed).

I recommend using a basic cover to keep dust and insects out.

Those intended for patio umbrellas are cheap and work fine for a scope inside a shed. They are zipped halfway so makes putting them over much easier and you can leave the finder in place. The drawstring at the base means you can close them round the scope once it has been fitted over it.

Cantilever Umbrella Cover: 4 Top Covers to Protect Your Umbrella |  OutsideModern

Edited by fifeskies
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Orange Smartie said:

Thanks both.  @fifeskies, you don't have an issue with moisture causing mildew or fungus?

Pete

Not inside my dry shed no.

I would not leave it covered for months on end however.

Also if it has got some dew dampness on it from use at night , wait for it to dry again before you cover it.

The "umbrella covers" are very loose fit and don't seal totally , in fact if it is still on the mount you cant do the zip up fully due to the pier/tripod, so is partly ventilated.

I tend to let it breathe by only loosely pulling the drawstring round it.

I use my ROR shed at non astronomy times as a workshop so it gets some heating in there from time to time.

• Thanks 1

I have similar shed storage.
I have a dehumidifier that I sometimes run. The way I see it, the purchase & running costs are less than risking the 'glassware'.
If I am in the shed (roof on) the dehumifier means I get less breath condensation on the scopes, and it takes the temperature up a couple of degrees.

From what I can gather, the fungus problems come about more when things are left closed up for a long time, rather than getting fresh air.
By that I mean a scope or eyepiece that gets out a couple of times month is less likely to grow fungus than items left in the box for a year.

Interestingly (or maybe not) I have had the start of fungus in a car.
Lockdown short runs and the winter mean I put wet feet on the carpet, breathe on cold glass and don't ever properly dry it out.

HTH, David.

• Like 1