Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Have I set up my Starwave 102 ED-R right?

Sorry for being a bit thick headed but I’m trying to set up my new Starwave 102 ED-R and there are some things that don’t look right. The focuser looks crooked and the star diagonal wobbles and I can’t see a way to screw it in more securely. What is the smooth part on the focuser with the three silver bits - it moves clockwise and anti-clockwise but I don’t know what for!! (I have circled it in red on one of the photos).

Thank you in advance for your help - sorry, this is the first time I’ve set up a refractor or any telescope that didn’t come in a kit!!

3F26B933-DF51-45EA-9F37-36D43286151D.jpeg

3809EE34-6D1D-4FA2-81B3-794DFAA98219.jpeg

C197B4EC-8F82-4ECD-9D1F-72CE007D3EBC.jpeg

Hi Nicola, the part you have circled is the locking ring. You rotate it clockwise to lock the nosepiece in the focuser. Its pretty solid once locked but can take a bit of effort to get it tight enough. Personally, I don't like it as you can sometimes move the entire focuser but it will do the job. The screw on top of the focuser (near the white tube) allows you to rotate the entire focuser. The brass screws can be tightened or loosened to adjust how stiff you want it to be when rotating.

Edited by david_taurus83
  • Like 2

That is the 2" locking ring that secures the 2"-1.25" nosepiece adapter in place.

I agree the rotating lock design is not ideal. If I'm tightening this I loosen off the screw that secures the rotating focuser so that I don't end up forcing the whole focuser to rotate with that screw down.

• Like 2