Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starting with SW EVOSTAR 72 D

Davor

Hi,

So far I was using Skymax 180 for planetary viewing and imagining. For photography I use ZWO ASI120 MC-S camera. Now I am planning to start with DS imagining. Due to the budget and handling my plan for OTA is to purchase SW EVOSTAR 72 D. (To mount it on EQ5 pro mount I have for max). I already have Canon 600D body. My idea is to use my planetary camera ZWO ASI 120 MC S as guiding camera. I got as a present before ZWO OAG. Now I wonder can I use that OAG for imagining with Evostar 72 or I should buy a guest scope. What would be the best set up for combination: Evostar 72D + canon 600D + ZWO OAG+ASI 120 MC. Thank you folks !

Edited by Davor
Missing word
  • Like 1

The Evostar 72 has only a 420mm focal length and would not usually be fitted with an OAG, but you possibly could do.

They are nice wide imaging scopes for DSLR use  (I use my 600D on an 80mm ED).

the ZWO 120 will work well as a guide camera (I use its brother the ZWO 290)

Any small guider/finder will allow you to get good images on your EQ5 pro , I use a 2nd hand ST80 but there are smaller options that will be fine. You will probably need some extension rings to get the guide camera to focus if its not a dedicated guidescope.

SVbony do a range of cheap but good quality guidescopes.

This can piggyback on the Evostar , the guider does not need to exactly align with the main scope so adjustment rings are not a must have , though I fitted them to my ST80.

You would end up with something similar to the photo below.

Image result for svbony guide scope piggyback

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Davor said:

should buy a guest scope.

Hi

You already have what you need for perfect guiding, so why would you go to extra expense? An oag at 420mm is about as easy as it gets and significantly lighter.

• Thanks 1