Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Refractor for planets, mostly visual, 4" or 5"

1 minute ago, Deadlake said:

Jeff Morgan on CN has a 130 mm F7 and he has published quite a few amazing photos taken using NV. He talks about building a huge DOB however given what he sees using NV not much motivation.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/686008-night-vision-image-gallery/page-3#entry10212746

You will loss visual scale with a smaller aperture, maybe a compact astrograph Newt + NV would help, less weight?

I just happen to have a 200mm f3.8 (with a broken focuser)!

11 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I just happen to have a 200mm f3.8 (with a broken focuser)!

if you can fit the Televue compressor that will be more the fast enough. I beginning to feel maybe for a larger aperture a Astrograph newt on a AZ100 mount maybe the way forward. A C11 would work, however needs quite a few compressors on it etc... I liked the idea of a Mewlon, however again compressor required for NV.

Edited by Deadlake

if you can fit the Televue compressor that will be more the fast enough. I beginning to feel maybe for a larger aperture a Newt on a AZ100 mount maybe the way forward.  

The mechanics on this scope are junk IMHO. It would take to much work to fix. The upside? I have plans down the road to build a carbon fibre, high spec newt with as small a CO that will fully illuminate the field.

As an update, I have decided and ordered the 125 mm f/7.8 from TS. Looking forward to try it soon (should be delivered within a week).

BTW I saw that @johninderby could not resist the scope as well an ordered one too.... 👍

I will post a review after some good nights of testing ;)

Edited by alex_stars
  • Like 2

On 08/02/2021 at 17:26, jetstream said:

The mechanics on this scope are junk IMHO. It would take to much work to fix. The upside? I have plans down the road to build a carbon fibre, high spec newt with as small a CO that will fully illuminate the field.

Posted in error.

Edited by Deadlake

The C11 Edge HD, not as positive as you would like on CN threads? AZ100 keeps your options open on newts.

I'm at a cross road of discovery. And that is how imaging software can deal with certain things, like the MTF but also aberrations. After being "bit" (once bit twice shy) I carefully look at things these days and then cross my fingers and hope for the best.