Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY Canon DSLR Viewfinder Cover

michael8554

You all know about blanking off the DSLR viewfinder when taking Long Exposures, because extraneous light can get in there - right ?

Blanking.jpg.936e9b20548c0ac7ecac4555a688578c.jpg

Found on the neckstrap, Canon provide a rubber eyepiece cover (A) that slides onto the viewfinder once the rubber and plastic eyecup is slid off.

This cap isn't very secure, and often falls off into the long grass.

I've not found a source for these caps, I often look out for Canon neckstraps in charity shops.

So here's how to mod a Canon Viewfinder eyecup to provide a secure cover to the viewfinder.

Replacement eyecups can be bought in the UK on eBay for about £2.35.

(B) shows the underside, optionally remove the rubber cushion off the viewfinder eyecup.

Cut a piece of black rubber or plastic about 0.5mm thick.

IMPORTANT: now glue this to the underside, the face shown in (B), otherwise there will be a small light-gap under the lower end of the surround.

(C) Finished item.

Michael

• Like 1

that was one of the things I liked about my old Minolta 9000, there was a wee lever that open/closed an internal blind on the eyepiece. For my A77ii I don't need such a device, being it's a SLT model so EVF rather than optical 🙂 

• Thanks 1