Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eunomia with binos?

Nik271

Has anybody observed this one? It's at opposition now at 8.5 magnitude and pretty close to Tegmine, so should be (relatively) easy to find even with the 90% Moon.

I'm going to give it a try tonight in my 20x80.

stellarium-001.thumb.png.08059534ce969dc10278e907b56aa86a.png

Clear skies!

Nik

• Like 1

Success! The Moon was making it quite difficult, not so much because of the bright sky but because of the moonlight glare getting in my eyes. I put on a wide brimmed hat and it helped. South west of Tegmine there are three mag 7 stars which point to another mag 7 star, HIP39990. Eunomia was  west of it and quite dim at mag 8.6 but clearly visible in 20x80. I didn't see it in my 9x50 finder probably because of the moonlight.

It will be interesting to track it as it moves further west away from Tegmine over the coming days. I made a sketch:

Eunomia2.png.f0ec07e9e89c5325d5fb4f0945a473f9.png

Clear skies!

• Like 5

Nicely done...

Over the last year or so I have been viewing with binoculars only and recently have been neglecting getting out - whenever I do I always sketch what I view... Seeing your sketch @Nik271has just given me that kick I need to wish for clear skies...

Nice sighting...

Mark

Edited by mark81
  • Thanks 1