NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Small scope colour moon

neil phillips

SW capricorn 70mm achromatic F13 Refractor. QHY 462 C. EQ 2 Mount. EQ 2 RA simple drive.

Scope cost £29. Mount head £30. (astroboot)  Drive £45 Camera £168 (china)

Having good fun playing with this small frac. Getting a 90mm F10 frac soon. More experiments with that, and a celestron F8 114 Newt soon i hope. 

Getting me back into imaging before i get My 10" running again

For beginers or those on a budget This cheap equipment can produce some nice low power mosaics

The full mosaic was prime focus

The closer shot was with a 2X Celestron Omni barlow

CONTRAST.png 10.png

CONTRAST.png

2X OMNI.png

• Like 5

Very nice.

I'm surprised at the level of CA I'm seeing in full resolution image at edges. I would not expect it from 70mm F/13 scope. It is almost up to Conrady standard with ~4.71 CA index. Then again, that index is for visual and not imaging.

10 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Very nice.

I'm surprised at the level of CA I'm seeing in full resolution image at edges. I would not expect it from 70mm F/13 scope. It is almost up to Conrady standard with ~4.71 CA index. Then again, that index is for visual and not imaging.

13 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Very nice.

Hi Vlaiv

Color correction is quite good. Its also heavily influenced by the heavy saturation. Here in colour. But no heavy saturation

DONE.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

CA aside...  I LOVE the colour you brought out.  Looks fantastic! Good details too.  A great illustration of what can be done with budget kit!!

Hi WCC.  Having a lot of fun re discovering astronomy.  Want to try IR with the cameras IR performance. But will likely need the 90mm frac. or the 114 Newt for that.  Expecting things to improve as i go further along i hope.  By the time my largest  scope is running, I should have got back into it. (I forgot so much ) Looking foward to getting the other small scopes on the. moon. Should make a interesting comparison.

Cheers