Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ambasat

bf79

I found this mentioned randomly on a facebook group a few weeks ago and it got me interested...

Basically, you can buy a kit to build your own micro satellite and have it launched into low earth orbit.

The kits you buy for launch cost in the region of about £180, you can build it yourself or buy it pre built, and you pick from a selection of sensors you want to add which you can monitor from your computer once in orbit

Launch costs are about £800 per satellite, and they launch about 200 at a time from a cube sat.

Once in orbit it will last about 3 months then burn up

Seems like an interesting project to do, particularly from the point of view that you can either build and code the satellite yourself from scratch, or buy it pretty much ready to go, so you don't need a great deal of experience in electronics or coding to do it.

How many people can say they built a satellite themselves and had it launched into space 

The site says they launch on a Neptune rocket with Interorbital systems but i read somewhere that they have now secured a deal with Space X to launch on a Falcon 9

Has anybody here done it or thinking about it?

I see the January 4th blog update shows the second generation ones will come with a camera so would love to get more info on that

Heres the link to their page

https://ambasat.com/

2 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Hate to say this but it Doesn’t sound very environmentally friendly to me, there’s enough stuff in orbit as it is, thousands (or even millions) more would not be good imo 😀

These ones only seem to last about 3 months before burning up, but you are right, theres a whole load of space junk up there already that could be doing with getting cleared up (if thats at all possible)

I’ll maybe leave that for a whole different thread though 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bf79 said:

These ones only seem to last about 3 months before burning up, but you are right, theres a whole load of space junk up there already that could be doing with getting cleared up (if thats at all possible)

I’ll maybe leave that for a whole different thread though 

Exactly, we should be cleaning up, not adding to it but I suspect Elon Musk couldn’t give a damn as long as he makes a fast buck