NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quattro 8inch

18 minutes ago, Stu Wilson said:

all done

Well done. Nice job.

Next: the fan on ours caused vibrations so we removed it. 

To tighten the guiding, you'll probably need to mount the guide telescope on the top rail along with a Losmandy width dovetail plate for the bottom. Or 80x15 aluminium plate and an angle grinder.

18 minutes ago, Stu Wilson said:

clouds everywhere

Of course. You just got a new telescope!

Do post your images:)

Edited by alacant

Will I benefit anything actually using the fan? Its minus 3 in carlisle tonight.

Clouds here so can't try out but new coma corrector failed to arrive. Trusty UPS.

Only second time I've ever had anything delivered by them and that was a nightmare. 

Anyway after the evenings modifying I've just come out to garage to recheck collimation status and its still in there.

I realise its a check and adjust every time with these things but hey its a 2 min job.

1 hour ago, Stu Wilson said:

benefit anything actually using the fan

IMG_20210126_000051.thumb.jpg.de65920baad4be763c4e1946b25b883a.jpg

I don't think so. It's just another cable to get tangled. Even here in Alicante, we've not had trouble with cooling; just leave the telescope out a while before you begin imaging.

We only have the single speed focuser but yes, it's a world apart from the flimsy sw affair.

You may need to tighten the springs a little, otherwise your focus point is going to be further than necessary from the tube. But BE CAREFUL WITH THAT METAL ON GLASS possibility.

Collimation wise, you have the springs covered. If anything, it's gonna be either tube flex (get a thick wide dovetail plate) or that stupidly heavy metal secondary holder. There are some great lightweight holders on AliExpress for that. Obviously, try it first.

Edited by alacant

2 minutes ago, alacant said:

I don't think so. It's just another cable to get tangled. Even here in Alicante, we've not had trouble with cooling; just leave the telescope out a while before you begin imaging.

We only have the single speed focuser but yes, it's a world apart from the flimsy sw affair.

You may need to tighten the springs a little, otherwise your focus point is going to be further than necessary from the tube. But BE CAREFUL WITH THAT METAL ON GLASS possibility.

I thought that. But wait till I've got coma corrector and camera on with clear sky to check.

8 hours ago, Stu Wilson said:

Will I benefit anything actually using the fan? Its minus 3 in carlisle tonight.

Strictly speaking, it's incorrect to regard the fan as being there to cool the scope. Its purpose is to help all the components reach ambient temperature, so if you took the scope out of the freezer to use it the fan's job would be to warm it up!

What I'd do would be run the fan during the setting up period then switch it off while imaging.

Olly

10 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Strictly speaking, it's incorrect to regard the fan as being there to cool the scope. Its purpose is to help all the components reach ambient temperature, so if you took the scope out of the freezer to use it the fan's job would be to warm it up!

What I'd do would be run the fan during the setting up period then switch it off while imaging.

Olly

Thats what I'd thought too Olly. Certainly won't hurt it.

Whats hurting is pouring rain and coma corrector still hasn't arrived.

Ups charged me 58 pounds import duty today to release the coma corrector. I paid but I was gob smacked.

I got in touch with TS Optics and they said because of that I shouldn't of paid German vat etc and refunded me 38 pounds.

Still a 20 pound hidden fee I suppose but better than original.

Just be nice to have everything here and set spacing etc ready for camera.

Stu

• Like 1

On 25/01/2021 at 23:15, alacant said:

Collimation wise, you have the springs covered. If anything, it's gonna be either tube flex (get a thick wide dovetail plate) or that stupidly heavy metal secondary holder. There are some great lightweight holders on AliExpress for that. Obviously, try it first.

Cut the new bolts down 5 mm so they're actually the same amount of thread as originals but.... with a countersink for stability.

Now the mirrors about where it should be but nice and solid.

Coma corrector apparently eventually arrives tomorrow and either Friday or Saturday  night I should have a window of clear sky for testing...... phew lol

20210127_171435.jpg