NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Equipment in from the cold....

Just wondered what routines you folk go through when bringing in your gear from the freezing cold. Do you try to wipe things down as the inevitable condensation begins, or do you let the warmth of the house gently dry everything off?

I was particularly concerned about how wet my DSLR became the other night after a brief session of being outside in the below freezing temperatures. I deliberately delayed separating the lens from the camera just in case condensation set in on the insides of each. Instead, I plonked it on the window ledge, above a radiator, but not overhanging, so that it could be in reasonably warm, and moving, air. Is this a good idea, or is there a more generally accepted way of doing things?

36 minutes ago, shropshire lad said:

I bring my camera and lens in and put in the coldest room, usually the utility room as it only has a small rad in there ... then move into the spare room after about an hour.

I do the opposite when taking it outside.

The softly, softly approach. Like it :)

Scope wise it is in the garage (under a cover for dust) which is fairly cold normally anyway so going out not to bad. Coming in, cap the EP and objective lens walk it through the house back into the garage. If there is misting then usually loosen the EP cover and uncap the objective (point scope at a slight down in case it beads and runs out) the. In the morning tighten the EP cover, cap objective and recover with dust sheet 😎