SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC1499 California Nebula, filtered 15x70s

Busy day but stuck my head outside tonight about 10pm to catch my breath. Oh my! Crystal clear from home and NO MOON. What to do...what to do...12" dob or bins...

Went for the 20/40x100s on fork mount, took a little time to set up, racing to beat the moonrise and high cloud.

Nice views of M42 and a decent hint of the Horsehead/Flame with the Nebustar/Hb filter combo but no cigar. Had trouble with the Rosette with Nebustar and OIII for some reason, should have been clear but...I don't know. Maybe it filled the FOV, maybe my eyepieces were fogging up, but there was definite nebulosity though no discernible edge. I can nail it in the 15x70s most every time.

Swapped to the 15x70s for a quick scan.

Two highlights tonight  - the first highlight was my first confident view of NGC1499 California Nebula with the 15x70s and same Nebustar/Hb combo - looked like a faint glowing elongated cloud. In fact I thought it was a streak of high cloud moving in at first. Not in your face nebulosity, but definitely there. Cool! Under darker skies this should pop out quite well in both bins. 

The second one - the Unihedron SQM-L was surprisingly indicating 20.42 to 20.49. I never get that at home, but it was crystal clear out so no malfunction. I think 20.38 was my highest ever reading back in March 2020 and 20.15-20.25 is normal for a clear dark moonless night.

Too short a session but fatigue and cold kicked in, I've a big day tomorrow.

Checking forecast, tomorrow evening until 10-ish looking crystal clear again, hopefully more time on the 20/40x100s, still haven't used them a great deal and I have high expectations for them, ;) eyes willing.

PS if you like, check my comment lower down the thread - I managed to make it to a darker site just outside of town with great results a few nights after this observation.

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 12

Nicely done! Always nice to grab some nebula with binoculars, I've only viewed the California Neb once with binoculars as I don't currently have a pair with filter threads, but I do remember it being very faint and almost cloud like...

I generally find M42 with binoculars is either fantastic or very little to write home about - when it's good, it's one I really like to study and keep going back to throughout the session as your eyes becoming fully adapted... I think quite often people go for bigger targets first of all and then try and pick out smaller objects before going back indoors, but it's always well worth revisiting to grab that extra detail..

Look forward to your next session with the big bins...

Mark

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mark81 said:

Nicely done! Always nice to grab some nebula with binoculars, I've only viewed the California Neb once with binoculars as I don't currently have a pair with filter threads, but I do remember it being very faint and almost cloud like...

I generally find M42 with binoculars is either fantastic or very little to write home about - when it's good, it's one I really like to study and keep going back to throughout the session as your eyes becoming fully adapted... I think quite often people go for bigger targets first of all and then try and pick out smaller objects before going back indoors, but it's always well worth revisiting to grab that extra detail..

Look forward to your next session with the big bins...

Mark

Thanks, M42 was looking great last night. I only used the 20x eyepieces but it was quite a display. M43 wasn't super bright, but my skies at home aren't that dark either. I find anything over 21.00 and especially 21.3 or so and it starts to get really good. Planning tonight's mission already including a return to NGC1499.

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I really enjoy my Apollo 15x70 binos. Like you I usually put in a Hb on one side and the TeleVue Nebustar on the other. I was also pleased to pick up the California Nebula with this set up.

Using this arrangement can be very satisfying and so quick to start observing.

I love my Apollo 15x70s, they're heavy for the size but I rarely use them on a tripod. I think a little bit of wobble hand-holding them really helps pull out faint nebulosity, then I'll pop them on a tripod if I really want to study something once I've located it. I'm going to give the big bins another go tonight as well if things work out, have to go for it when I can 👍 

• Like 1

Great report !

Oh, for the clouds to clear here as well 🤞 it's been a pretty crummy run of weather for the past week or so.

I think I can fit 1.25" filters into the eye cups of my 11x70's. I have Astronomik O-III, H-B and a UHC in that fitting so I wonder which combo of those would give the best results ?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

John I don't think the O-III is recommended for the California Nebula. I would try the Hb and the UHC but some have suggested just using one filter.

Do you mean just one filter or two filters of the same type Mark ?

A quick update on NGC1499 - I went out two nights ago to the closest dark site just outside of town - it was 21.15 with the sqm-l and great transparency. The 15x70s with Nebustar/Hb filters gave great views of the California Nebula but more detail will require darker skies or the 20x100s (or my widest low power EPs in the dobs). I had the 20/40x100s set up but some high cloud started creeping in. I did manage another view of the E and W Veil early in the evening, but it goes down quickly this time of year after 8pm or so. I'll be observing at home tonight for another bash, forecast looking pretty good.

PS as I recall, the Nebustar revealed 1499 nearly as well as the Hb filter, just with a brighter background sky. The nebustar never ceases to amaze me. I'll have to invest in a 2" one but work is worryingly slow at the moment, I'm on a spending freeze for the interim.

• Like 1