Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M33 - Then & Now

Budgie1

I've managed a few clear nights over the last week and visited M33 for the first time is 9 years.

Seeing as I only got back into astrophotography in August, having stopped sometime in 2014, I'm quite pleased the progress to date. I still have a lot of improvement to make before I'll be happy with the results but they're coming on and I learn something new with each session.

I thought it would be good to have a look at what I did previously and where I'm at now. If anyone else has similar images then feel free to add them. :D

This is my 2011 image of M33 using the same EQ5 mount that I have now, no guiding and not connected to anything other than a remote shutter switch. At the time I was really pleased with the image and, looking at it now, I'm surprised I got as much as I did with the scope and mount in only 5 x 3 minute exposures.

M33-27102011.jpg.6dec21d7e7ce59f0f1eade807c58bda3.jpg

Here's the latest effort from 2nd January, using the following:

• SW EQ5 Pro mount
  • SW Evostar 100ED Pro with 0.85 reducer/flattener
  • SVbony 60mm guide scope & ZWO ASI 120MM Mini using PHD2
  • Modded Canon EOS 1300D connected through APT
  • 41x 300s lights @ ISO 800 (3h 25m total exposure) + 20 bias, 20 flats and 20 dark flats
  • Stacked in DSS & prcessed in PI

M33-02012021-1.png.fec42fea3f3053ee49e0e3b230570eb4.png

Edited by Budgie1
  • Like 11

Nice pics... both old and new. I'm planning another go at M33 soon if the weather permits. My scope and mount are more akin to your earlier setup so I'm not expecting to get anything like your later image.... plus my LP is Bortle 6 - I guess Fort William is better?

I've actually got a "then and now" of M33 as well. The first one was taken back when I first started imaging with a skywatcher startravel 102 and an EQ3-2 mount with motor drives. Was only able to get 2 minutes exposure max on this, and was at a stage where I wanted to take pictures of multiple targets in a night so didnt spend much time on them.FB_IMG_1569083149002.jpg

Like you, I was super chuffed with it. I revisited this a few months ago with a new scope (starwave 102 ED-R) and new mount (Celestron AVX) and was now spending much longer on each target, getting a good couple of hours minimum and ended up with a much better picture

FB_IMG_1601495033941.jpg

They were taken almost exactly a year apart, just 6 days away! So it does go to show what improvements can be made in a year. Yes, I did upgrade equipment, but the main things were longer exposures, better post-processing, more overall data

Edited by MylesGibson
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MercianDabbler said:

Nice pics... both old and new. I'm planning another go at M33 soon if the weather permits. My scope and mount are more akin to your earlier setup so I'm not expecting to get anything like your later image.... plus my LP is Bortle 6 - I guess Fort William is better?

I'm very lucky to live in a Bortle 2 area, so I'm not using any LP filters. I get annoyed when the Moon's out so I feel for you with Bortle 6 LP.

2 hours ago, MylesGibson said:

I've actually got a "then and now" of M33 as well. The first one was taken back when I first started imaging with a skywatcher startravel 102 and an EQ3-2 mount with motor drives. Was only able to get 2 minutes exposure max on this, and was at a stage where I wanted to take pictures of multiple targets in a night so didnt spend much time on them.FB_IMG_1569083149002.jpg

Like you, I was super chuffed with it. I revisited this a few months ago with a new scope (starwave 102 ED-R) and new mount (Celestron AVX) and was now spending much longer on each target, getting a good couple of hours minimum and ended up with a much better picture

FB_IMG_1601495033941.jpg

They were taken almost exactly a year apart, just 6 days away! So it does go to show what improvements can be made in a year. Yes, I did upgrade equipment, but the main things were longer exposures, better post-processing, more overall data

Jumping all over the sky in one evening was one of my initial faults. Wanting to get as many targets as possible and not giving each one the time it needed.

The upgrade of the kit has helped but also a better understanding of how to use that kit and adding the software has also played a big part it the improvements for me. My only real outlay on new kit from what I had is the addition of the astro modified DLSR, adding the guiding and purchase of PixInsight.

I will be upgrading the mount next and going for a belt drive HEQ5. The EQ5 is coping with guiding but it's about 10 years old now and not the best for guiding, so that's where the money is going next. ;)