Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The HorseHead in Mono

astro mick

Hu.

I took this last night under a full Moon.The only filter to combat the glow was my Ha Filter at 12nm.Even then i had gradients.

It was taken with my 102mm refractor and ZWO cmos camera.

It is a stack of 49 x180 second exposures,and calibrated with darks and flats.

The extent of the dark Nebulae is fascinating to see.

I hope to add colour at some point.

But i think black and white can also add some perspective.

Cheers.Mick.

Horsehead 2.png

• Like 27

Lovely image. I too was out last night imaging the horse head. I managed 9 images all together. I went out after a while to check on the progress and noticed the framing was all wrong and now the image had lots of star trails. Strange I thought, so I turned off guiding and tried just a 30 second sub. Star trails again!  Ah well looks like something has gone very wrong so I packed up. It was then in plugging cables  I noticed the lead to the guide cam was very tight. It had managed to wrap it self round part of the mount. So this explains it then. At least I got a bit of data to process.

Edited by Chefgage
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, geeklee said:

Very nice Mick.  Ha photos definitely have a charm of their own and can always be added/used later for other projects.  Good job persevering under a full moon too.

Cheers,cant resist a clear night even with the Moon.

Mick.

2 hours ago, Chefgage said:

Lovely image. I too was out last night imaging the horse head. I managed 9 images all together. I went out after a while to check on the progress and noticed the framing was all wrong and now the image had lots of star trails. Strange I thought, so I turned off guiding and tried just a 30 second sub. Star trails again!  Ah well looks like something has gone very wrong so I packed up. It was then in plugging cables  I noticed the lead to the guide cam was very tight. It had managed to wrap it self round part of the mount. So this explains it then. At least I got a bit of data to process.

Thats tough,if one thing i have learnt through all these years is that this hobby regulary turns round and bites you on the b-m.It can be so frustrating.

Hope you have got something to go at,and better luck next time.

Mick.

On 31/12/2020 at 22:45, astro mick said:

Thats tough,if one thing i have learnt through all these years is that this hobby regulary turns round and bites you on the b-m.It can be so frustrating.

Hope you have got something to go at,and better luck next time.

Mick.

It gets worse. I have just taken the data off the memory card and I have star trails even on the few subs that I thought was good (not sure why, I did the usual test shots). Never mind I got some good data on the California nebula the day after. I will try again on the horse head soon.

• Like 1