Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASIair output sockets

Hi all, I’ve treated myself to an Asi electronic focuser and installed it ok. I’ve also got it working, but only by powering it separately from my Asiair pro.

The Asiair has four 12 volt output sockets, when I try and power the eaf, or anything else, via one of these sockets there’s no power getting to the device. I’ve checked all combinations of leads and they’re all ok.The sockets are turned on in the asi app so I think there must be a fault with the Asiair, unless I’m missing something.

Has anyone any ideas or had similar problems? Thank you.

I'm following this, I've just ordered the ASIair Pro ( although I've a 15-20 working day wait due to stock shortages)  So all information I come across regarding potential issues could come in handy. Regarding the EAF I had read somewhere that although the ASIair has 4 X 12v outputs it can only output a certain amount of overall power. I can't remember the details so it would be best to ask on their forum.

Btw @Scooot this is the link to ZWO forum https://bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/

19 minutes ago, PaulR26 said:

The WiFi on my asiair pro failed on the first night, so I wonder about their QC. Support was good however and they had a new unit to me promptly. Have you tried  their customer support?

I've noticed the WiFi has been an ongoing issue due to the aluminium casing on the ASIair. I know this can be solved by using a WiFi repeater or plugging directly into the ethernet socket (this option makes the whole WiFi option a little pointless)

Once I'm up & running I'll be imaging from my garden & monitoring remotely from my room just above so I shouldn't have any problems.

I think from what I've seen, the benefits of the ASIair far outweigh any issues I've come across whilst reading about this. It also gives me confidence hearing how well they dealt with your problem.

Steve

2 hours ago, PaulR26 said:

The WiFi on my asiair pro failed on the first night, so I wonder about their QC. Support was good however and they had a new unit to me promptly. Have you tried  their customer support?

Hi, yes, I had a reply from them yesterday. I’ve just received another which is basically to test the sockets with a universal meter if I have one. If that’s negative I think I’ll be going through some sort of return procedure. I think my neighbour has a meter. I’m pretty sure it will be negative so it looks as if the unit will be replaced. 
I’ll update again later.

3 hours ago, nephilim said:

I'm following this, I've just ordered the ASIair Pro ( although I've a 15-20 working day wait due to stock shortages)  So all information I come across regarding potential issues could come in handy. Regarding the EAF I had read somewhere that although the ASIair has 4 X 12v outputs it can only output a certain amount of overall power. I can't remember the details so it would be best to ask on their forum.

Btw @Scooot this is the link to ZWO forum https://bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/

Yes, you’re correct about the power requirements of the EAF , although it’s fairly minimal. I’m powering my Asiair with a Celestron power tank, 12v @ 3amp which is ample. 

I received my Asiair in about July but I hadn’t tried the sockets until now. I suppose one thing to learn from this is to do so on receipt otherwise it could have gone out of warranty without me even knowing about the fault. Everything else works perfectly as far as I can tell. 

Edited by Scooot

38 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

In the AAP app you can turn the 12v ports off or on and specify if they are for dew control etc. May be worth a quick check of the settings.

Thanks Stevie, yes it makes no difference I’m afraid. I have a faulty unit it seems so I’m waiting for ZWO to authorise a replacement. 

I've had one of these devices for a few months now (new to this game).  I'm powering an NEQ6 mount, ASI 294MC Pro, EAF, ASI120MM and a dew strap through the ASI Air from a Celestron 13.2Ah power tank.  Shame yours is broken - they are amazing devices and I hope you come to love it.

37 minutes ago, tenpinmark said:

I've had one of these devices for a few months now (new to this game).  I'm powering an NEQ6 mount, ASI 294MC Pro, EAF, ASI120MM and a dew strap through the ASI Air from a Celestron 13.2Ah power tank.  Shame yours is broken - they are amazing devices and I hope you come to love it.

Thanks for the info, yes I think it’s a great little device.

FLO are replacing it for me when they get some more stock in.