Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Waiting to get started!

I’ve been wanting to get into astrophotography (in addition to general star gazing) for some time and have been looking for recommendations;  I eventually decided that a Skywatcher 200PDS may be best option without spending a small fortune. I called a store and chatted to them and they suggested that I also think about a EQ6 because of weight of dslr, which I would be using.

After doing some more research, mainly on here, I’ve noticed some comments suggesting a better option would be  EQ6-R or AZ-EQ6.

I haven’t made any purchases yet as nobody seems to have anything in stock so I’m taking the time to ask for advice.

I would really appreciate some feedback on the above, with any other alternatives that may be suggested.

Many thanks in advance

Do you have a preference between observing and astrophotography? They have quite different requirements and trying to do both with the same setup can be frustrating. Using a Newtonian on an EQ mount for visual can be quite awkward, and in addition using such a large scope can be tricky especially whilst learning the AP ropes. Folks often start off with an ED80 on an HEQ5, or possibly a 130PDS. Reading the book ‘Making every photon count’ by Steve Richards before buying anything is another great way to avoid wasting money!

+1 for what Stu said. 

I recently read something that may well apply here - do something badly, and you might just be pleasantly surprised at the results.  So in this sense it could mean get something more manageable, get a basic setup going and get to grips with how it all works.  You may be pleasantly surprised at what you can achieve with even just a standard camera zoom lens on a tracking mount.

There's plenty to learn even before you start getting into guide scopes and all of that, just setting up a standard tracking mount for polar alignment is a learning experience (one that I've long since given up trying to master... or even achieve properly just once), you can learn on a 2nd hand setup so long as it has what you need - a polar scope, goto (very popular with serious astrophotographers), just add a small refractor that's capable of having a camera attached.  You might also want to think about a CCD instead of SLR to save on weight and bulk.

Ultimately consider a small refractor specifically built with photography in mind, they can be expensive and won't show you as much visually but will be much easier to handle than a large reflector, and won't get hit by wind nearly as much.

Edited by jonathan

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Do you have a preference between observing and astrophotography?

I wondered if enjoying both things may be a problem!!! If I really, really had to make a choice I suppose it would be the latter although I have thoroughly enjoyed my limited time on friends 'scopes (some years ago, other side of the world) just looking around our tiny universe etc.

9 minutes ago, jonathan said:

You might also want to think about a CCD instead of SLR to save on weight and bulk.

I've been an avid photographer for years now so my trusty DSLR is like my third arm, hence the reason for using it, or at least wanting to use it and to cut down on any other unnecessary expense.

In all honesty my line of thought was "I'm certain that I'm going to enjoy it so why not buy a reasonable setup to begin with then I wouldn't have the urge to 'upgrade' after a very short time and, in effect, spend even more money".

Hmmm, let me find some 2nd hand gear somewhere...

+2 for what stu said.

If your budget only allows for 1 scope + mount at the moment and you want to be able to cover both visual and imaging, your best option would be either 130PDS or a 4" ED doublet like this one + the SW HEQ5 Pro mount. You won't save any weight with a dedicated astro camera because the CCD/CMOS + the set point cooling system + all the extension tubes are simply as heavy if not heavier than a compact DSLR. If you've got multiple DSLRs, it may be worth getting one of them astro modded.

Learning imaging with a large 8" newt could be very challenging. You might get frustrated because you were not getting the results you hoped for. A short focal length refractor + a flattener is probably the best starting point.

Edited by KP82

Many thanks for the responses....I have a headache now thinking about the advice given !!

Seriously though, it's much appreciated and has certainly given me other options to consider whilst the stocks are horrendously low in the shops.