NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observations with 10 inch dob deep south

Hi all. These are my observations using my 10 inch dobsonian from Lattitude 31 degrees south in Western Australia. I started by scanning the far northern sky in search of Almach, the double in Andromeda. Soon located it and wow lovely contrasting colours despite being quite low on the horizon. I always get a thrill spotting these far northern targets, something mysterious about them! Next I viewed Gamma Velorum. Absolutely amazing view in my 10 inch, this multiple star looks like some type of unicorn with three stars lined up right above the main pair. I pointed my telescope at the Large Magellanic Cloud next and enjoyed a mind-blowing view of the Tarantula Nebula NGC 2070. So many twisted filaments set to a greenish glow. I observed several open clusters and globular clusters within that galaxy as well. An awe inspiring experience considering I was looking at deep sky objects in another galaxy! To wrap up my nights observations I checked out the waxing gibbous moon in Taurus and saw a tiny red star really close to the slender dark lunar limb at 267x magnification. It's nights like these that remind me why Astronomy is the greatest hobby of all! Clear skies to all😊😊

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Welcome to the SGL!

Nice report and glad you got a good evening viewing.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've had this 10 inch reflector for three months now, finally upgraded from 20x80mm binoculars after two years of observing. It's my first telescope and I would very highly recommend a 10 inch dob to anyone considering buying one as it has way exceeded my expectations 😊