Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging question for people down South

Wiu-Wiu

A friend of mine reached out to me, looking for some help.
she was looking for some way to make a remembrance gift for her brother and his wife, who lost their child during pregnancy this year. She was going to be the godmother of the girl. 

she came upon ‘naming a star’, as the little baby is now ‘a star in heaven’. 

I think we can do a little better than handing over money to those kinds of companies.

the baby was named Josephine. There is one main belt asteroid named Josephina. It is currently positioned in CAP, at mag 15.

this is unfortunately too low for me, and I won’t be able to image it anymore. 

So I’m reaching out to anyone here who has a better chance to shoot a quick image of the asteroid, and willing to share their picture so I can make a nice collage and make this gift more personal. 
please share, or reach out to your connections, it would mean the world to them. Thank you!

D515E730-D676-47DA-802F-62A139BC90A5.thumb.png.1804bdee087fb304b0de8e989825c346.png

• Like 2

no worries, and you might also be Southern enough to take a shot at this asteroid ;) - or if you know anyone who might give it a shot... 

(if you can see jup & sat, you might have a good chance) 

beware, it's quite small... 

I will take a look when it clears...Jupiter and Saturn are getting quite low in the West at sunset.   We may have to wait until it is better placed.  I will be making another imaging expedition to the New Mexico "Boot Heel" in May 2021.   I have imaged other asteroids before so I can probably capture this one if I can get enough time on it.

BTW.....Sky Safari looks pretty cool.  (^8

John
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I will be taking a shot on this one myself when skies finally clear up, but the asteroid is currently in Pisces so we actually might have a shot this time of year. It is mag 13 so not impossible for most amateurs anymore... 

I'd like to relaunch my call to anyone with some spare imaging time, it would mean a lot. 

Thanks in advance! 

• 3 weeks later...