Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Drift on NEQ6 after slewing

edjrgibbs

Backlash is a likely culprit , this can take a while to settle back again , try leaving it for 5 minutes and it may just catch up with backlash.

I always let my NEQ6 just sit for a short while when I slew to a new target before platesolving to the target.

If it drifts for more than 5 mins its likely something else unless your backlash is very large.

6 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

Backlash is a likely culprit , this can take a while to settle back again , try leaving it for 5 minutes and it may just catch up with backlash.

I always let my NEQ6 just sit for a short while when I slew to a new target before platesolving to the target.

If it drifts for more than 5 mins its likely something else unless your backlash is very large.

Thanks, the problem is it drifts rapidly and completely off target...

5 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

What software is driving your mount.  I use APT and guide with PHD2

It does not sound like backlash if its rapid and well off target.

Do you know if its wandering in both Dec and RA

I'm not 100% sure whether its in RA or Dec to be honest. I use Stellarium and Stellariumscope to slew and star align then guide with PHD2 and use APT to image. In PHD 2 the image drifts to the right rapidly straight after slew. A few reverse pulses on the gamepad stop the drift. Balancing issue maybe? 

Worth just checking balance is not well out but my NEQ6 is reasonably forgiving for balance and will guide even a bit off without much complaint.

I do always do the 3 axis balance check when changing scopes , but swapping from camera to visual I don't usually rebalance , just assume the diagonal and eyepiece are close to the camera weight.

Newer versions of Stellarium have done away with Stellariumscope , might be worth upgrading to the new version , though I doubt this is behind the drift issue.

(as in , it is now integrated into the program and not loaded and run separate)

I assume you have checked that your cables are not tight and dragging against the mount.

1 hour ago, fifeskies said:

Worth just checking balance is not well out but my NEQ6 is reasonably forgiving for balance and will guide even a bit off without much complaint.

I do always do the 3 axis balance check when changing scopes , but swapping from camera to visual I don't usually rebalance , just assume the diagonal and eyepiece are close to the camera weight.

Newer versions of Stellarium have done away with Stellariumscope , might be worth upgrading to the new version , though I doubt this is behind the drift issue.

(as in , it is now integrated into the program and not loaded and run separate)

I assume you have checked that your cables are not tight and dragging against the mount.

Thanks, will give the balance a shot and check cables etc

Sounds like a combination of backlash and balance.   Remember it's not simply a case of balancing the OTA on the DEC and RA axis, you need to check the balance (well CG) of the tube with the camera and guidescopes.  It's an old video but explains scope balancing easier than describing the actions in a post 

https://youtu.be/uK2bXfVNoQU