Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just Purchased a Newtonian With No Base - Seeking Advice

Hello All!

After years (or decades) of wanted a nice telescope, a friend offered me his Sky Watcher 8in Dobsonian Traditional telescope for 100USD. It does not come with the base, however. So it's just the telescope. I'm unsure of what to do at this point. I could ask a friend to fabricate a base for me if I had some specs, could purchase one second hand? or could buy another base? I'm not exactly sure what my options are or what the best choice is. Also, it is completely without additions and I've heard and read that I should spend some additional money on some other things as well.

If anyone could provide some insight I would be very grateful. I have a 5 year old brother and a 2 year old sister and I'm really excited to get them into stargazing and astronomy and hope this is a good way to do it, if you were curious about what I wanted to do with the scope. Not interested in photography at the moment. I live in an area with a good amount of light pollution I believe (zip code 44236 approximately) if that factors in to what I should do.

My budget is around 100 dollars but could stretch to 150 if needed.

Thank you all in advance!

Hello Kartik, and welcome to Stargazers Lounge. If you Google "Dobsonian Base DIY" you should get many links and YouTube videos giving details about making a base, including those for this site (Stargazers Lounge) and its USA equivalent, "Cloudy Nights. The various articles will give you an idea of what is involved, and the level of woodworking skill required.

You will also need eyepieces. The eyepiece collection can be built up as funds permit, but I would start with a 32m Plossl, and a x2 Barlow; both 1.25" diameter.

Geoff

• Thanks 2

Hi and welcome to SGL 👍

Geoff in the previous post gives good advice.  A good source for making a Dobsonian mount is Stellafane. There’s lots of other web based sources, a few minutes of searching will bring up loads.

As for eyepiece choice, I’d avoid the very cheapest but lots of good eyepieces if you spend just a little more. If you can stretch to 3 eyepieces,  something like a 32mm for low power, 10/15mm for medium power, 6/8mm for high power.

An 8” Dobsonian can easily be a lifetime scope with no reason to ever buy another.

All the best in your astronomy journey, Ed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The original concept of the Dobsonian was that you could build your own using junk parts rather than buying a factory made scope and mount at a fancy price.  Alternatively, it should be possible to source a ready-made base if you search around, but your budget is low.

Making a base shoud be a straightforward DIY project - the Skywatcher ones are made of chipboard, I believe. Also budget for a finder scope (various options) and eyepieces at around $50 each.

I'll note in passing that in theory you could fit the tube with tube rings and dovetail bar and mount it on a german eqiatorial mount, but this would be rather expensive.

• Thanks 1

Once you get a mount sorted, consider a beginner's book such as Turn Left at Orion, with no Goto you'll need to learn how to star hop and know what there is to see, a few simple facts about the objects increase the enjoyment too.  A Planisphere and red light torch are also good things to have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1