Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light with Skywatcher DOB 200P

Kon

I finally received my Skywatcher 200P DOB from FLO after a 3 month wait. This is my first telescope ever and I got some great advise from this forum on EPs and books. The weather has been crap but I managed to get a break in the clouds and have a quick play. Seeing the moon and its craters up close was amazing. My 3 and 5 year olds were also amazed and screaming their heads off! Once they went to bed, I had a quite time and managed a bit more moon observing before the clouds covered it but it cleared near the Orion constellation. OMG!!!!! Seeing the nebula through the 15mm and 8mm BST EPs was out of this world! I know it is described as a smudge but I could get a lot of details out of it (not the bright red colours that you see in photos) and it covered the FOV nicely on the 8mm EP. I am at bortle 5/4 skies.  Looking forward to some proper clear skies.

• Like 9

Orion makes a perfect first light, congratulations! Your scope is well-suited for the 'faint smudges' and an 8 inches mirror has a significant light gathering power. With a 7inch Mak I can see faint dark tendrils in the center of the Orion nebula, so with an 8 inch under dark skies you are in for a real treat!

• Like 1