Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginners resources

We know a family whose son is 12 and just getting started with first telescope so basically starting from square one. Wondering  what people are recommending for starter books/ apps/ websites etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

That's an easy one, he needs to be able to identify things in the sky, he probably has a smart phone so a good app like stellarium, a planisphere and a Moon map. I also use an app called sky guide which I find very easy to use 👍

+1 for "Turn Left" and some sort of Planisphere or app, then another couple of good beginner books are:

Philip's 2021 Stargazing Month-by-Month Guide to the Night Sky 

2021 Guide to the Night Sky: A month-by-month guide to exploring the skies 

The British Astronomical Society has a web page here that links into beginner's guides in a number of different subject areas.

Astronomy magazines usually have an online presence with a beginner's section, like this one

And once Covid is behind us, he could consider trying to find a local astronomy society for information and advice. If you're UK based, there's a list here.

Another for Turn Left at Orion I also liked Night Watch but not sure if either books might be to much. There are others I have on my list as recommendations such as The Practical Astronomer or Collins Beginners Stargazing which may work better but I havent got those so cant comment on content, you may be able to raid your local library.  

Sky At Night is a good site and also they have a magazine which may be of interest (I get a digital copy free from my local library in the UK).

I also use an app on my phone called Skyview (there is a lite one that is free but the pro is not overly much) which is good for identifying objects and tracking them at various times.

Edited by wibblefish