NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

USB to serial adapter

Hi all, 

Just been in my obsy and the old computer I use to control my lx200 has finally given up the ghost. Anyway, I took a new laptop out and connected that. It would appear win10 doesn't like the old USB serial converter. Understandable as the thing is pretty old. Anyone recommend one they are presently using under win10? A zillion choices out there.... Thanks in advance.. 

It actually comes up in device driver with the text.... "this device not updated since 2012"...it's s probably over 15 years old to be honest! So I'm not too surprised. Just wondered if anyone had recently bought one, and from where. Thanks for the reply. 

I've used Startech USB/Serial adapters which I've used with no problems controlling an LX200 and an ETX125. They use the FTDI chipset which is worth getting, rather than the cheaper Prolific chipset adapters as there are many cloned Prolific chipsets which are disabled by the latest Prolific drivers. If Startech's cheaper Prolific version use genuine Prolific chipsets then they will be fine too. 🙂

Alan

Edited by symmetal

Well the kit arrived today, went with the startech. Seems to be recognised but having no joy getting the ASCOM driver to connect. Strangely enough I can get it to connect using autostar suite so obviously the hardware would seem to be fine. I've given up for today. There was a bit of talk about ascom drivers and LX200 issues recently as I recall. 

I used the Ascom driver developed very kindly by cjdawson in this thread. Mine is an LX200 GPS and there were initially some issues with the classic but the latest version has solved this by the looks of it. 🙂 I haven't really used my Meade for quite a while but I had it slewing by CdC and Sharpcap. Others report it works with APT and SGP too though there was an issue with the final centering using platesolving in SGP.

Alan

Right, that's the thread. Thanks for that Alan. I've downloaded that and I'll give it a whirl tomorrow. I'd take a look now but it's terrible out there and I'm not up for a trip down the garden in that weather to be honest. 

Thanks again... 👍

Popped into obsy first thing, could roll the roof back thankfully as its a nice day, for once!! 

After a touch of com port selection problems (my fault! ), scope connected no problem. Big thanks to Colin Dawson for that driver. I believe he's a member on here so cheers Colin if you are. 

Thanks again Alan... 

• Like 1