SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASCOM Driver for Meade AutoStar/AudioStar based telescopes

cjdawson

Hi everyone.

For anyone that uses a Meade based telescope with ASCOM, I'm sure that you are all aware that the "Meade LX200 Classic and Autostar #494, #495, and #497 (combined telescope/focuser, 5.0.4)" driver is the one to use.  However, it's old and you can only connect one piece of equipment at a time oh and certain programs like WIFI Scope, Sharpcap, Sequence generator pro all have their functionality limited because the driver doesn't implement everything.

Well, I started writing a little program that would allow me to set the date, time, site lat and long using a GPS connected to my PC.  That way both the PC and Autostar are in sync.   However, it turned out that the aforementioned driver doesn't implement the ability to set the date and time, and I think it does something funky with the site too.  (Can't remember to be honest, but I know I don't trust it.

My solution, I'm in the process of creating a new driver for the Meade AutoStar #497 and AudioStar.

Here's the link to the Wiki.

https://bitbucket.org/cjdskunkworks/meadeautostar497/wiki/Home

I was wondering what sort of interest there would be for my fellow Meade users to get some much better support for our scopes.

On 25/05/2019 at 15:50, michael8554 said:

The LX200GPS ASCOM driver has exactly the same problems, so that one next please ?

Michael 

Hmmm, I wonder if the driver I'm making will work directly with the LX200GPS,   might need a few tweaks for specific features, but pretty sure that it'll be 90% there already.  Might be worth giving it a try when I am confident enough to release a beta test version.

• 2 weeks later...

I've released the first alpha test version of the driver.   It's currently 0.5.0.0

This should give all the functions of the original meade driver, plus more.  At the moment I can only support the Autostar #497, but there's no reason why it wouldn't work on an LX200, I say give it a test!   Other models too.   Any issues, let me know and I'll see what I can do to resolve them.

10 hours ago, cjdawson said:

but there's no reason why it wouldn't work on an LX200, I say give it a test! 

That's just asking for trouble, I won't be risking corrupting my LX200GPS !

I've posted a query on the LX200GPS Forum, there are developers there that will know the answer, but I suspect Autostar 497 and Autostar II are way different.

I'll get back to you.

Michael

29 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

I've posted a query on the LX200GPS Forum, there are developers there that will know the answer, but I suspect Autostar 497 and Autostar II are way different.

I'll get back to you.

Michael

There's nothing to be afraid of.
The protocol for communication between PC and the Autostar is exactly the same, they are based on the LX200 protocol, also others manufacturers have used the same protocol in their mounts.
Astro-Physics, Losmandy, 10 Micron and some some Celestron mounts are based on the LX200 protocol.
They do of course add more functions to their drivers, but the basics are exactly the same.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StarDodger said:

Why not just use StarGPS it’s a superb driver with all the functions you need and with a GPS dongle...no need to write another, just feast your handset with StarGPS and you have all the extra functions...

https://www.stargps.ca/

StarGPS is a firmware that is uploaded to the Autostar hand box.  It is not an ASCOM driver.  The Ascom Drivers allow software like SharpCap, Sequence Generator Pro, Maxim, Cartes Du Ceil, Stelarium to name a few to send commands to the scope ask it to move, and get information about where the scope is pointing.    The ASCOM driver is installed on a windows PC, to allow windows to connect to the handbox.  goes inside the handbox.   Also I'm not charging anyone anything to install and use the driver.  StarGPS isn't free.

12 hours ago, michael8554 said:

I'll get back to you.

Michael

You won't be risking corrupting anything.

An ASCOM driver is installed in windows, it issues commands to the Handbox via the serial cable.  If something goes wrong, the command simply doesn't work.  The scope will be fine.   I wouldn't ask anyone to risk anything.  I know how much the Meade Scopes cost, espcially the LX series.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that the hand box uses the same control codes as the Autostar and Audiostar.     I'm planning on creating a virtual handbox application for the for the #497 based.  Actually, I've already put in some of the controls for it into the driver code for 0.6.0.0.   hopefully I'll get that going soon enough, and have the application ready for prime time too.

I see on the ASCOM Forum that many astro manufacturer's ASCOM drivers are flakey, and the poor user often has considerable trouble correctly uninstalling and reinstalling before the thing works correctly. 

I also see on the ASCOM Downloads instructions NOT to use the 497 on the 200GPS and vice-versa. 

Hence my reservations. 

Michael 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StarDodger said:

I have used this for years with my LX90 it’s very good...as a PC based control instead of the Autostar handset...

http://miltonhill.us/software/LX200_Mini_Control.html

or here for the latest version, 4th one down on page..

http://miltonhill.us/software/index.html

That's interesting.  Never saw that program before.  It looks good, shame that it needs a direct connection to the com port.  Which in turn means that you can only have it connected to the telescope.   Whereas what I'm working on is a good quality driver that will let you run several pieces of software at the same time on the scope.  I'm planning on making a handbox style application just like that, but instead of connecting directly to the scope, it'll connect via ASCOM thus meaning that it can work along side any other piece of ASCOM compliant software.

2 hours ago, michael8554 said:

I see on the ASCOM Forum that many astro manufacturer's ASCOM drivers are flakey, and the poor user often has considerable trouble correctly uninstalling and reinstalling before the thing works correctly. 

I also see on the ASCOM Downloads instructions NOT to use the 497 on the 200GPS and vice-versa. 

Hence my reservations. 

Michael 

I've also seen that message.  The reason is that the specific driver that you are referring to is old, and doesn't really work all that well.  Whilst there are a few differences in the way that the commands for for the LX-90 and the LX200, most of the commands are the same and are directly compatible.  The devil is in the detail of specific implementations and there may be some defects in the handboxes which could cause the wrong command to be sent to the scope.  In this case, it will simply be that the scope will ignore said command or interpret the command incorrectly.    For the majority of the commands it's the same.

There is a document from Meade that shows details how the commands work.

https://www.meade.com/support/TelescopeProtocol_2010-10.pdf

The driver that I've created uses these commands to communicate with the scope.  Hence why I'm saying that there's nothing to worry about.   Hope that helps to put your fears to rest.

• Like 1

With the current LX200GPS/R ASCOM driver, when I set a custom Guide Rate with the handbox (say 90), when I connect with PHD2 it resets to 66.

So I set to 90 after connecting with PHD2, which holds for that session, and is still present when I next switch on, but reverts to 66 next time I connect PHD2.

Andrew Johansen gave me this info regarding the ASCOM driver.

I understand that      :Rg10.0#    resets the Guide Rate.

Looking in the "Meade LX200GPS\Telescope.cls" source 
Inside the "Let Connected()"  function 
the code finds the mount and does some checks 
At about line 720, ( after everything is done ) 
it calls a function called Reconnect, which looks like it is meant to reset some old data. 
Inside Reconnect, ( at about line 2108 ) 
 they forcibly reset the guide rate 
with no way to override it. 

On 07/06/2019 at 18:53, michael8554 said:

With the current LX200GPS/R ASCOM driver, when I set a custom Guide Rate with the handbox (say 90), when I connect with PHD2 it resets to 66.

So I set to 90 after connecting with PHD2, which holds for that session, and is still present when I next switch on, but reverts to 66 next time I connect PHD2.

Andrew Johansen gave me this info regarding the ASCOM driver.

I understand that      :Rg10.0#    resets the Guide Rate.

Looking in the "Meade LX200GPS\Telescope.cls" source 
Inside the "Let Connected()"  function 
the code finds the mount and does some checks 
At about line 720, ( after everything is done ) 
it calls a function called Reconnect, which looks like it is meant to reset some old data. 
Inside Reconnect, ( at about line 2108 ) 
 they forcibly reset the guide rate 
with no way to override it. 

I know that the driver that I'm creating doesn't do this.  so, with that in mind, you might want to give it a try and see if it works any better for you.  You can install it alongside the other driver and chose which one you want to use, so again it's low risk for you.

Let me know how you get on, and if there's anything that doesn't work 100%.   I'm sure that I'll be able to modify the code to better support the LX200GPS,  I just need to know what the actual differences are.

Ran Meade.net.Setup.0.5.0.0.msi

First it asked me to install NET 5, which said it was only compatible with Win7 onwards. Windows XP is still used by a great many people, including myself until a few weeks ago, most astro progs work with it.

Fired up PHD2 and looked for a new driver in the Mount window.

Nothing obviously new, but I didn't remember seeing Meade Generic (ASCOM) before.

By a process of uninstalling and reinstalling your driver I determined Meade Generic (ASCOM) was yours.

Tried to connect and got this message:

"Failed to load served COM class assembly ASCOM.Meade.net.Focuser.dll

Unable to load one or more of the requested types.

Retrieve the Loader Exceptions property for more info."

The PC locked up for about 20 secs but then cleared and I could close PHD2.

Are there any files you would like to see?

Michael

NET 5?

eek,  I know the code is targeting .net 4.7.1.     Hmmm, I wonder how low I can go, so rather than using the latest framework, I'll try using an older one and see if that makes it easier for others to use.   I'll try and drop it down to .net 4.0.   That should be good enough for most people.

Meade Generic  is the name of the new driver. So, it showing up is good.

"Failed to load served COM class assembly ASCOM.Meade.net.Focuser.dll

Unable to load one or more of the requested types.

Retrieve the Loader Exceptions property for more info."

This has me puzzled, that means that PHD2 is trying to access  the focusser.   That's crazy.   I'll download PHD2 and try it on my dev VM and see what happens.

@michael8554   I've just put up a new build,  version 0.6.0.0

Downgraded the .net requirement to 4.0 or higher.

I've also tested it quickly with both sharpcap and phd2, and found it working without a problem.  Let me know if you get the Failed to load served COM class assembly again.    That was unexpected.

Here's the link.

https://bitbucket.org/cjdskunkworks/meadeautostar497/downloads/Meade.net.Setup.0.6.0.0.msi

The V0.5.0.0 version needed .net 4.7.1. Based on your issue, I've found that I can lower the .net version two 4.0 without any ill effects on the code, so I've done that.    V0.6.0.0 onwards will be using .net 4.0 until such time as I need to upgrade for a good reason.   This is the same version that the ASCOM Platform 6.4SP1 which is the version against which I developed the driver.

To keep everyone updated.  I've been talking to Michael directly and we've solved the teething problems with the driver.  Turns out that he needed to upgrade his ASCOM platform to the latest version.  I've also done a few tweaks to the driver installer and the builds so that it now works with .net 4.0, and it also checks at install time if Ascom 6.4 SP 1 or higher is installed.

It's also confirmed working with Windows 7 as well as Windows 10.  So I can safely assume that it'll work with Windows 8 as well.   Possibly even with windows XP, but that's untested.

• 5 months later...