NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon lens question

Ande

3 minutes ago, nephilim said:

A guide scope can be attached using the mount I posted earlier, I'll be using my Skywatcher Evoguide ED50 & ZWO ASI 120MM-S as my guide setup.

Thanks. I’ll have another peep :)

1 hour ago, nephilim said:

Whoops, this is the one i'll be using, the other link as far as I can tell only allows for a smaller finder/ guider type set up. https://www.wega-telescopes.de/shop/Rohrschellen-passend-für-Samyang-135mm-F2-Objektiv-inkl-Sucherbasis-3D-Druck-p258368766

On the original link you posted, does the focus ring  make focussing more precise? It looks like it should as it effectively increases the diameter. 

9 minutes ago, Ande said:

On the original link you posted, does the focus ring  make focussing more precise? It looks like it should as it effectively increases the diameter. 

I think it does as manual focusing wide open at 2.0 is pretty tricky although I'll more than likely be stopping down to 2.8. I will be emailing the other company (last link I posted) to ask if they do a focus ring 

Edited by nephilim
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, nephilim said:

I think it does as manual focusing wide open at 2.0 is pretty tricky although I'll more than likely be stopping down to 2.8. I will be emailing the other company (last link I posted) to ask if they do a focus ring 

As a side note Ande I will be buying the Bahtinov Mask from the first link as they do one specifically for the Samyang.

28 minutes ago, nephilim said:

As a side note Ande I will be buying the Bahtinov Mask from the first link as they do one specifically for the Samyang.

IMG_20201205_204346_8.thumb.jpg.3b45de8d238c62890169f6af27e40a0e.jpgAlso, this is the lens in the flesh, it's a beast 🙂 Hence the need imo for a good solid mounting system.

• Like 1

Thanks @nephilim  The lens is, indeed, a beast. Both my new 80D and Samyang lens arrived this morning.  I have to say that I’m currently in the land of the bemused.  It’s the first DSLR I’ve ever owned, and, erm, well..... It’s a bit complicated isn’t it? 🤣 I had an old Pentax SLR back in the day, so thought I might have a tiny heads-up. I thought wrong.  Still, there is an absolute wealth of YouTube stuff to bring me up to speed.

Very impressed with the auto focusing of the EOS system. The kit lens is an absolute joy to use.  However, after taking a few snaps with both lenses, the Samyang is streets ahead in just how amazingly sharp it is. I took some snaps of a tree about a third of a mile away, and am astonished how much detail it has picked up.

Yes, I think I shall follow you in ordering the Bhatinov mask. My own eyes cannot be trusted to focus a camera properly. Even with glasses on.  

Currently enjoying blue(ish) skies in Exeter, and I was half-hoping that it might continue into the evening so that I could test a few things out. However, the reality of it is that I need to get better acquainted with camera, lens and Skyguider before I attempt anything.  I have deliberately held off from the software side of things. Stacking software etc.  My little brain will melt if I have to deal with anymore variables just yet.  Exceptionally excited though.  

Edited by Ande
  • Like 2

Hi,

I've nothing useful to offer as far as astro photography goes,  even thinking about it makes my bank balance quiver ...

However, as a long time photographer I've sent many people to the excellent tutorial videos by Tony Northrup on you tube, he talks you through specific camera models really well. Also he speaks clearly, doesn't um and er , and knows what he is on about . Lucky you, he has a vid. on your 80D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAFigFMdi58&feature=youtu.be

Hope it helps !

Heather

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ande said:

Thanks @nephilim  The lens is, indeed, a beast. Both my new 80D and Samyang lens arrived this morning.  I have to say that I’m currently in the land of the bemused.  It’s the first DSLR I’ve ever owned, and, erm, well..... It’s a bit complicated isn’t it? 🤣 I had an old Pentax SLR back in the day, so thought I might have a tiny heads-up. I thought wrong.  Still, there is an absolute wealth of YouTube stuff to bring me up to speed.

Very impressed with the auto focusing of the EOS system. The kit lens is an absolute joy to use.  However, after taking a few snaps with both lenses, the Samyang is streets ahead in just how amazingly sharp it is. I took some snaps of a tree about a third of a mile away, and am astonished how much detail it has picked up.

Yes, I think I shall follow you in ordering the Bhatinov mask. My own eyes cannot be trusted to focus a camera properly. Even with glasses on.  

Currently enjoying blue(ish) skies in Exeter, and I was half-hoping that it might continue into the evening so that I could test a few things out. However, the reality of it is that I need to get better acquainted with camera, lens and Skyguider before I attempt anything.  I have deliberately held off from the software side of things. Stacking software etc.  My little brain will melt if I have to deal with anymore variables just yet.  Exceptionally excited though.  

Great to hear your happy with them, there certainly is a lot to learn with a DSLR but i'm sure you'll soon get the hang of it. The Samyang is an amazing lens for the price, i'm still waiting to finally use mine for AP, let me know how you get on with it.
There are several software packages available for controlling the EOS through a laptop specifically for AP, a few are discussed briefly here but I recommend BackyardEOS as its very simple yet effective & has a number of very helpful features. There are plenty of youtube videos available for this & the other software mentioned. Have fun with your new kit 🙂  http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/software.htm

Edited by nephilim

The 80D is a bit of a beast to get your head around but there are quite a few users on this site if you have any questions. The video linked too by Tony Northrup is excellent but does not cover some of the more advanced features like custom shooting modes which are so handy if you cant remember a previous set up, it can save all the relevant options for Astro/Video shooting/macro photography into one place on the dial ie C1 or C2.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

Thanks both.  Regarding Backyard EOS, I’m going to hold fire initially, as I’m hoping to purchase an ASIAIR as soon as I can. The thought of having a laptop, and all of the associated gumpf that goes with it fills me full of dread. It is very much Plan Z atm. I’m not doubting, for one second, how good it is. I just want to try and keep things simple. And looking at the way the app is laid out for the ASIAIR gives me hope.

Cheers Alan. I did notice the Custom settings option, and made a mental note of it. No idea how to implement it yet, but I shall definitely delve into it once I have found my “go to” Astro settings.

I’m just a bit cross with myself as I was trying to swap the declination bracket configuration around as per Peter Zelinka’s excellent setup video. I made the rookie mistake of using the included Allen key, which dutifully turned into cheese, and buggered up two of the heads. I know, I should have stopped once the first screw failed, but you don’t do you? So now I have a plate that refuses to move, and an ill-balanced rig.  And, because I’m working away I don’t have any “proper” tools with me.  Looks like Amazon time again :(