NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tighten up focuser tube, which screws to turn?

My focuser tube has become a bit loose and I want to tighten it up. I noticed this the other day when putting a centre-pull end plug into the 2" eyepiece holder, when I pulled the end plug out, the focuser tube moved out slightly too and when I pushed the plug in, the tube moved down slightly. There's a load of grub screws underneath the focuser and I assume this is where I make the adjustments to tighten it up but I don't have a clue which ones to turn. Does anyone know? See photo. Cheers.

IMG_2205[1].JPG

1 minute ago, bendiddley said:

Many thanks. Think I will have to read this a few times lol.

you are welcome. there is a wonky red arrow missing in the photo for the "parallelizing screw No.2" but if you see the number one you get my drift  

have fun it does work

Just now, tooth_dr said:

Thats a good diagram and article Fozzybear 👍

I tightened the middle screw on mine, that did the trick when it was loose.

Cool stuff, good to hear! I like the sound of only tightening ONE screw ha ha. I'll give that a try first off, see if that does the trick. If not, its an 'all screw' bonanza!

11 minutes ago, bendiddley said:

Cool stuff, good to hear! I like the sound of only tightening ONE screw ha ha. I'll give that a try first off, see if that does the trick. If not, its an 'all screw' bonanza!

you only need to adjust the 2 grub screws. at least look at the flat part on the draw tube if the marks are equal either side "rubbing effect or what ever you call it" then that's it to tighten one and release the other one (tension and counter screws) middle below the focus locking screw

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

you only need to adjust the 2 grub screws. at least look at the flat part on the draw tube if the marks are equal either side "rubbing effect or what ever you call it" then that's it to tighten one and release the other one (tension and counter screws) middle below the focus locking screw

Ah, good call, I'll have a look cheers. 

• 2 weeks later...