NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Uranus - possibly?

Azelfafage

Hi, :(

It's a longish story, but basically had a break from the Boards due to some flu-like illness that was hard to shake off & made it risky to go outside on crisp nights of good seeing :crybaby:

Moving on from the health report & having ventured out on Friday, tried to find Uranus from Venus, having heard they were close together. Not 100% sure the goto worked & just off-centre there was something that looked like a small tightly-packed globular. It wasn't like the pinpoint image I expected of a star, and there was nothing as bright nearby (V excepted, of course :laughing3: ). Silly me, I should have printed a star chart of the area before going out :oops: .

Have I really bagged another planet - what do others think, any similar experiences :scratch:

Since thought about trying to find it with the large binocs (having now got my chart :withstupid: ) but last night & tonight were slightly hazy so there was no point.

Rgds,

A

I found Uranus a few years ago when it was separated from Mars by about 3 degrees. It looked like a blue star at about 120x. I found Neptune this year using CDC by printing a close up star map and very carefully comparing what I saw in the scope to the small scale chart. It looked like a greenish star. If Uranus looked like a cluster you may have piles you may have been slightly out of focus. :(

Uranus centers quite well in the SE8 after a Solar System single point align on Venus and then just GOTO Uranus. This even when not quite dark.

Just a small bluish circle. Tried to image it with the NexImager but thats something I need to work on.

Saw Uranus on Saturday night. Easy to find about 2 degrees straight down from Venus. Placed outer rim of Telrad circle on Venus and the centre was approx over Uranus.

Appears slightly blue in colour and a little larger then a normal size star appears.

Hope this helps.

Hope you're feeling much better, A. :(

Sounds to me like you spotted it. :thumbright: Through a scope, Uranus and Neptune look like stars which are slightly diffuse around the edges and emit more of a buffed glow than a brightness... a satiny sheen, if you will. Very much like your description of a tightly packed globular.

Btw, I've spotted Uranus and Neptune while using 7x35 binocs. They appeared star-like and would have been passed by as such if not for my prior awareness that they were planets. Let us know what you see using your large binocs, ok?

Archived