Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using my mount with a camera, not a telescope

Doberamus

Newbie question.

Have been using a Celestron 8" evolution on a Alt-Az mount this year, but wanted to get more wide-field images. Therefore I was wondering If, rather than buying a star-tracker, if I can just attach my Sony A7 with a 135mm lens on to the telescope mount to get images?

If I align with the OTA, and then replace it out for the camera, will the alignments match up? Will the tracking match at all? Will the weight of the lens cause any damage to the camera mounted like this? 

And yes, I know my exposure time will be limited by the mount being Alt-Az. AN Eq mount is next year's adventure!

Hi

You could mount a red dot finder in the camera flash hot shoe and align with that. This is what I do.

I use a camera and lens on a virtuoso mount and just work within the capabilities of a tracking altaz mount. 135mm is a nice fov though you'll be cropping the edges off where field rotation shows most.

Aim East or West within 30-60 degrees for best exposure length

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge/page/1

Edited by happy-kat

3 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

You could mount a red dot finder in the flash host shoe and align with that. This is what I do.

I've done exactly that before now, too.

Regarding the weight of the lens, when I've used larger lenses I've sometimes fitted a lens mounting ring to support the lens instead of the camera and fitted that to a dovetail.

James

Not sure how you're planning to mount the camera; what weight problem would arise that wouldn't if your camera is mounted on a tripod? A 135 shouldn't be any issue.

You might find it difficult to get the scope off and the camera on without budging something, but 135mm is a pretty forgiving focal length. You didn't mention the make/model of mount. If your scope mounts with a Vixen or Losmandy dovetail, it's simple to get one that has holes to allow a suitable-length 1/4"-20 screw into the tripod socket to  bolt the camera down onto it. E.g. this from our beloved sponsor.

The other option, if your scope is attached with mounting rings, is to just piggyback your camera on that. Less fuss in the dark.