NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Barlow/Eyepiece.

I'll try this section as i got no replies in the imaging section.

I'm moving over to a 6se for planetary/lunar imaging and will be using both a DSLR and a SPC900 on occasion.

I will on occasion be wanting to use a Barlow or possibly an eyepiece (maybe Baader Hyperion) to image with and would like some suggestions on what would give the best images.

Initially I would like to know if the TV 2.5 Powermate would be worth the extra £100 or so than the Celestron X-CEL LX 2x or 3x, or something else entirely, i'm pretty unfamiliar with SCT's.

TIA.

25 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

I do hope you get replies in this section... It's a little surprising when one doesn't get the response one might normally expect... 😉

At my age I'm no longer surprised by peoples actions or for that matter by their inaction 😉.

A plain Barlow would probably work well for imaging and would give you the ability to vary magnification by varying the distance between it and the imager.  I'm not aware that they add any focal image curvature.

Most eyepieces don't work well for projection because they project a curved image plane.  This isn't an issue for afocal projection where the taking lens has ample depth of field to handle it.  I'm assuming you're attempting projection imaging and not afocal projection.

• Thanks 1

Hello Mark, I am just getting into the imaging aspect of things so I can only offer my own thoughts. I bought the Baader Hyperion zoom and associated 2.25x barlow. The Baader offers the ability of being able to put the DSLR directly onto the eyepiece and I am loving it...... when there is a clear sky that is 🤦‍♂️ So from vague remote memory of clear skies, I used the zoom at the least magnification and then kept zooming in until I was happy with what I was observing. After moving a few things around, I then did the same with the DSLR bolted on the end using live view to focus taking single snaps as and when. As I say not into imaging proper yet. The ease at which you can change magnification with the camera bolted on sold it for me and I absolutely have no complaints about the eyepiece ability or quality.

One other thing to consider and I have no idea if it affects the 6SE like the skymax but focusing can be challenging as the primary in the skymax flip/flops a bit so I have ordered a dual speed focuser which after reading a million revues should help.

Enjoy 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

A plain Barlow would probably work well for imaging and would give you the ability to vary magnification by varying the distance between it and the imager.  I'm not aware that they add any focal image curvature.

Most eyepieces don't work well for projection because they project a curved image plane.  This isn't an issue for afocal projection where the taking lens has ample depth of field to handle it.  I'm assuming you're attempting projection imaging and not afocal projection.

Thanks Louis, i'll buy the standard celestron 2x Barlow. Yes it will be projection. I'll have a play with the eyepieces that come with it before i go any further.

12 minutes ago, M40 said:

Hello Mark, I am just getting into the imaging aspect of things so I can only offer my own thoughts. I bought the Baader Hyperion zoom and associated 2.25x barlow. The Baader offers the ability of being able to put the DSLR directly onto the eyepiece and I am loving it...... when there is a clear sky that is 🤦‍♂️ So from vague remote memory of clear skies, I used the zoom at the least magnification and then kept zooming in until I was happy with what I was observing. After moving a few things around, I then did the same with the DSLR bolted on the end using live view to focus taking single snaps as and when. As I say not into imaging proper yet. The ease at which you can change magnification with the camera bolted on sold it for me and I absolutely have no complaints about the eyepiece ability or quality.

One other thing to consider and I have no idea if it affects the 6SE like the skymax but focusing can be challenging as the primary in the skymax flip/flops a bit so I have ordered a dual speed focuser which after reading a million revues should help.

Enjoy 

Thanks M40, I was considering the Hyperion zoom anyway for visual so i think you just sold it for me too 🙂.

Drat, i bought an SCT dual speed years ago when i bought a skymax 180, wish i hadn't sold it now, oh well, at least i know what tell the Mrs i want for Christmas 😀.

Thanks to you both.