NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Explorer 200PDS with HEQ5

Hi!

My first post, i have searched around and not found so much photos/images from the scope Explorer 200PDS. Anyone have any experience from it?

Im hopefully gonna buy this one very soon, but is it a good setup for AP, is the HEQ5 a good choice or will i be disapointed? 

I have seen the long thread on the 130 version of the scope and that one seems really good.

Im greatfull for any thoughts and considerations :)

Edited by Neotox

Welcome to Stargazer's Lounge!!

I have a 200P on an HEQ5 which I bought for visual observing a few years ago. I then tried astro photography with it, and yes it gathers plenty of light but it's also a large scope to point and track accurately.  I re-started my Astro-Photography journey this summer with a small 72mm refractor which the HEQ5 points and tracks with ease and I'm now building up equipment and experience.  Astro Photography is a steep learning curve and trying to learn with a large, long scope makes it even harder.  So, if you are buying specifically for Astro Photography I'd go for a smaller scope - refractor or small Newtonian - but if the latter, ensure it has enough focus travel to accept a camera.

i use the 130pds on an eq5 pro and tracks really well and id say just about right for dso imaging a good starting point and relitevly cheap to get going im sure the 200pds will also work but limited field of view 

Thank you! 

The Setup i plan to buy is the following:

Sky-watcher explorer-200 PDS + HEQ5 PRO
Baader-planetarium baader-planetarium hyperion zoomocular mark IV, 8-24 mm
Baader-planetarium Hyperion wideocular 1,25 tum/2 tum, 5mm
Meade 12 mm ocular
Sky-watcher SYNSCAN WIFI modul
Motorfocus
Moonfilter
A.S.I. ASTROKAMERA 120M

Im getting the above for a decent sum (for what a new HEQ5 cost) thats actually why i consider it for my first setup. First i was thinking of getting a ED80 instead with a eq3. But is it a to big step to hope for some AP use of this setup for a n00b like myself? 

With the above i can later complete and buy a refractor as the HEQ5 pro is the big cost in the setup. Or am i thinking wrong/missing something? :)

You may be better with the 130PDS or even the 150pds as the bigger scope 200PDS is like a sail in the wind. Fine for visual on the HEQ5Pro if you don't mind the odd angles the eyepiece gets to but for astrophotography you will struggle even in the slightest breeze. A better option if your budget can stretch a little further is the NEQ6 or EQ6-R Pro. Both of these will work well with the boat sail.

The smaller scopes have less wind capturing area and are proven to be well for AP in conjunction with the HEQ5-Pro.

One thing you will need to factor in if you are intending to take images of DSOs is a coma corrector. If you are only doing planets and the moon then you will be ok without.

I see the camera you have chosen is the 120MM which is fine for planets and the moon. However beware that the planets will still be very small. Jupiter shown below with the 200P and ASI120MM

image.png.ab9eae309c961622c1758bf48e891c98.png

And the moon below with the same combo

image.png.e8978e56868956c92ff90d123f8518f9.png

Edited by TerryMcK

Sorry for not being clear, the setup i wrote above is what i intend to buy as a "used" package. Im planing to use the above with a Canon EOS 800D also for DSO.

@TerryMcK good tools, whats the URL?

If i had the choice i would also prefered alittle bit smaller scope, but as i will get this used package for a decent sum i hope i can "complete" it with a smaller scope later on. Unfortunatly its always the budget problem :) 

4 minutes ago, Neotox said:

Sorry for not being clear, the setup i wrote above is what i intend to buy as a "used" package. Im planing to use the above with a Canon EOS 800D also for DSO.

@TerryMcK good tools, whats the URL?

If i had the choice i would also prefered alittle bit smaller scope, but as i will get this used package for a decent sum i hope i can "complete" it with a smaller scope later on. Unfortunatly its always the budget problem :) 

http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

2 hours ago, Neotox said:

Anyone have any experience from it?

Hi

My experiences with it were not good. But of course, you may get a good one;)

If you want the minimum of setup, this one has a proper focuser, good mechanical build and trustworthy mirrors. It should be OK on an heq5 but I'm with @TerryMcK on the eq6 recommendation; so much easier.

Cheers and HTH.

If you are buying the whole setup as a used package, then it makes more sense - especially if you can get it all at a good price. It should work very well for visual if that's your first priority and the long focal length would be good for planets and lunar when you don't need long exposures. As I said in my earlier post, the scope is a bit big for the mount for long exposures.  However the good new is that the HEQ5 is a very good mount for astro-photography, so if you want to get into DSOs later, you could always add a smaller scope.

3 hours ago, Somerled7 said:

If you are buying the whole setup as a used package, then it makes more sense - especially if you can get it all at a good price. It should work very well for visual if that's your first priority and the long focal length would be good for planets and lunar when you don't need long exposures. As I said in my earlier post, the scope is a bit big for the mount for long exposures.  However the good new is that the HEQ5 is a very good mount for astro-photography, so if you want to get into DSOs later, you could always add a smaller scope.

Any thoughts on the age as I wrote above?

A reflecting telescope is pretty simple really, so if it's been well looked after, it should be OK. I bought my 200P (and the HEQ5) second hand and both have been fine. However I'm no expert on the finer points of buying second hand scopes!