NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with DSS stacking

Hi guys, im new to astrophotography and im learning a lot but the most problem im having is with deepskystacker. Ive done some imaging of Orion Nebula with my ghetto setup, its a smartphone with a telescope not for astronomy watching i believe. Everytime i try to stacking the pictures the outcome is really bad and quite dark, meanwhile when i use sequator it comes out better. Ive tried tweaking the settings on DSS but just cant seem to figure out the problem. I will attach both the Sequator result and DSS one for comparison and a single frame from the lights. I used over 176 Light frames at 800 iso and 1 second exposure time with dark and bias frames. If anyone is willing and has the time i can send the all the files from the session and send them to you if you can stack and see if the problem is the pictures or my usage of the program. Also a side question, the result of sequator is not bad but it seems slightly blury, so im wondering is it from bad focus, a stacking problem or the equipment just isnt that good to produce better stuff. Thanks a lot!

-Raw unedited pic
39921182_UneditedRawLightFrame.thumb.jpg.aebfc4bac52187e1fec1e0d1c4fc5b3b.jpg

-Sequator Stacking Result 

895253802_Seqautoroutput6.thumb.jpg.ee5631598e9d4b29964937bbe0df1154.jpg

-Deep Sky Stacker Result 

1381452137_DeepSkyStacker.jpg.1b287925dbbe253c28b4b33128830bcb.jpg

-My final edited pic of Orion nebula
279474086_FinalPhotoshop.thumb.jpg.e77d71294bc179149c7413489a7f43ae.jpg

Hi

You could use GIMP (free) for the post processing of your stacked image from DSS. In DSS on your lights use kappa sigma clipping to help round your stars. 

That's quite a good image you taken using 'through the eyepiece', well done.

Thank you for your replies, i tried stretching some photos of previous pictures i took of stars and it worked using the gimp method, but the orion picture still isnt good. I tried stretching it but the results are weird. I firstly changed the settings of DSS and used kappa sigma clipping, and did two stackings with higher value and lower one, but the final image is blury when i stretch it and the stars are weirdly shaped. Thanks for the tutorial tho, it helped with the other pics.