Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ha imaging filters

Mr Thingy

I was wondering if my Ha 7nm filter for imaging DSOs would have any notable effect in observing the sun (in combination with a Herschel wedge or solar filter of course).

I believe the solar Ha filters are about 0.5 A, which would be a 140x narrower band pass than my 7nm filter, if I calculated correctly. That probably answers my question but I'm wondering if anyone has tried and seen any effect.

There we go... silly question asked 😁

Hi,

i think this came up recently in the SW webcast about solar, and as i recall the answer is no, but someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

The Baader solar continuum filter is supposed to be good in combination with a solar-film filter, so i've heard.

Edited by Miguel1983
  • Like 1

I put a 7nm Ha filter in front of the camera when solar imaging through Baader film, but only to reduce the amount of light getting to the camera.  It gives a bit more flexibility with exposure times. Other than allowing me to increase exposure time from the minimum 0.001s, I see no difference in detail or contrast.

• Like 1