Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Get my first ever scope today!

OK dont laugh, spent a few weeks deciding what to buy and decided on a Skywatcher Skytravel 80EQ1 but after 2 weeks waiting for stock to arrive in our 'local' Scope Store they now state they cant get one

So decided to buy a Bresser which I understand LIDL sold a while a back for around £50.00p for £38.00p and its hardly been used, collecting it today

Idea being that I have a play around and get used to using a scope then decide what to spend my money on later on a better one, the Bresser is also cheap enough to leave over in Spain at our caravan

Hopefully we will have a clear night tonight and I can have a play around :(

Photo of the actual Scope here, any comments or advice would be appreciated, if its no good it can always be given to the grandkids to get them interested

Cheers, Dave

telescope.jpg

Hi Dave,

No laughing from me, because I bought the Bresser 70mm scope from Lidls myself too, though I think you got one up on me with your EQ mount. I have a weird mount which I can't figure out. It acts almost like an EQ in that it can follow the movement of the stars across our cosmos through the night, but definitely is NOT an EQ mount.

I'm quite happy with it so far. I've found it quite easy to set up, and use. Managed to see what little of M42 from a suburban setting, but hoping to go do some observing from a dark site sometime next week, so will let you know more.

Someone did a "roadtest" of the Bresser here which you might find useful. http://www.astroman.fsnet.co.uk/skylux.htm

Hope this helps, and let me know how you get on with the scope too!

H

Hi Dave,

No laughing from me, because I bought the Bresser 70mm scope from Lidls myself too, though I think you got one up on me with your EQ mount. I have a weird mount which I can't figure out. It acts almost like an EQ in that it can follow the movement of the stars across our cosmos through the night, but definitely is NOT an EQ mount.

I'm quite happy with it so far. I've found it quite easy to set up, and use. Managed to see what little of M42 from a suburban setting, but hoping to go do some observing from a dark site sometime next week, so will let you know more.

Someone did a "roadtest" of the Bresser here which you might find useful. http://www.astroman.fsnet.co.uk/skylux.htm

Hope this helps, and let me know how you get on with the scope too!

H

Many thanks for the link and delighted with the review, cant wait to use it now!

Will keep you posted on how I get on, need to learn how to assemble it first :)

Bought Turn Right at Orion last week and read quite a lot of it and will be starting on something easy, the moon :(

The bresser 70mm is fine. It can handle a bit of magnification and the mount does a good job of carrying this light scope. The diagonal is trash though, the eyepieces are a little better and the finder is about what you'd expect for a 70mm refractor. I hope you enjoy using it.

I enjoy the challenge of splitting double stars with this scope, why don't you see what's the tightest pair you can split? Maybe you can see polaris' companion?

I got mine from an Antrim lidl for £39. I seem to remember my parents buying me a catalogue tasco refractor for about £25 in 1980-81ish. I'd have loved one of these back then.

Welcome, Wobbly.

This is a good example of why this forum is so successful. A distinct lack of laughter and equipment snobbery. Just helpful and supportive advice.

Just what a beginner, like myself needs.

Let us know how you get on with the scope.

Whilst on the topic of the Bresser 70/700mm scope, does anyone have an idea where I might be able to get a kinda padded bag for the kit so that I can shove it in the car and drive with it to another site?

I need to get it to a dark sky site as my garden, although dark, is nonetheless in the middle of town.

H

Just collected the scope and delighted with it, was looking forward to assembling it straight away but kids and grandkids about to arrive for sunday lunch so will have to wait until later!

Then HOPEFULLY its out into back garden for my first use of a telescope later tonight :hello1:

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice :wave:

Archived