Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY Off axis guider + DSLR

Felipe

Hey guys!,

I hope you are doing great so far with this crazy world!, I was hoping to shoot a question and find somebody who might know about it.

Currently I’ve got a new OAG a QHYOAG medium size which I would like to use it with my Canon DSLR but I’m missing and adapter to get the set up going, the OAG comes with 2 different spacer rings M42 and M54 threads, I’ve manages to connect my M42 to 2” which goes to the telescope, but I have no idea how to connect the T-2 ring (Canon) to the OAG, the only solution I can think of is getting a M42 male to male which I haven’t found anywhere.

Also I notice that connecting the M42 to 2” adapter blocks quite a lot of area of the prism which I think it might block light coming into it.

here are some photos of what I’m trying to explain in words, and big thank you to anyone who might had the same issue in the passed and want to share a solution!.

first image is the DSLR to OAG with both M42 females. Adapter missing ???

second photo is the OAG without the M42 to 2” adapter

third photo the prism blocked by the M42 to 2” adapter.

thanks guys!.

33314331-5430-491A-A28E-2533116114FC.jpeg

210871C3-97E5-4D3F-BF6B-211BC769CEDB.jpeg

266F693F-8644-4994-8CD3-683A731F68D6.jpeg

You would think an M42 male to male adapter would be available from most any online astronomy store but the only one I could find is listed on ebay & ships from China. M42 to M42 42mm - 42mm male-to-male coupling Ring Adapter for Filters 4496849937489 | eBay

I believe the prism position can be adjusted by loosening the knurled set screw shown between your thumb and index finger in photo 2. The prism stem should be long enough to let it project further into the optical path but not so far as to obstruct the light falling on the camera sensor. Support the prism while adjusting so the stem doesn't fall out of its housing.

13 hours ago, Scorpius said:

You would think an M42 male to male adapter would be available from most any online astronomy store but the only one I could find is listed on ebay & ships from China. M42 to M42 42mm - 42mm male-to-male coupling Ring Adapter for Filters 4496849937489 | eBay

I believe the prism position can be adjusted by loosening the knurled set screw shown between your thumb and index finger in photo 2. The prism stem should be long enough to let it project further into the optical path but not so far as to obstruct the light falling on the camera sensor. Support the prism while adjusting so the stem doesn't fall out of its housing.

Hi Scorpius, thanks for the help, yes I noticed I can slide up and down the prism when loosing the screw on the side after I posted it, I’ll have a look at the link and see if I can get it shipped to where I am.

thanks!.