Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First prime focus image of the moon

Pixies

Hi,

Here's my first ever moon photo, using prime focus: Bresser 8" dob, Nikon D3200. ISO100, 1/500th sec

RAW NEF file edited in GIMP, for histogram stretch and slight sharpening. Saved as PNG

Critical comments please...

DSC_0155.png

• Like 17

I tried a smartphone video a couple of nights before, and stacked/processed using PIPP, Autostakkert and Registax. I could only get it to work OK with one of the higher magnification EPs (x150 in this case)
image.png.759e503b4827413df5f72a87158b2106.png

I was wondering whether the  single prime-focus pic could be better focused, to make it sharper. I appreciate that I have 'artificially' sharpened the latter picture.

Also, ry as I might to use a wider-field EP to get a complete picture of the moon with the phone, I kept getting a 'shadow' from the secondary as the exit pupil was so big. Not sure if there is a way around this - apart from a proper planetary camera.

I’d be surprised if you were able to get much better quality images unless you were able to sweet talk Elon into taking you there so you could take some snapshots out of the capsule window as you entered lunar orbit. Worth a try, think of the quality!

2 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

I’d be surprised if you were able to get much better quality images unless you were able to sweet talk Elon into taking you there so you could take some snapshots out of the capsule window as you entered lunar orbit. Worth a try, think of the quality!

Those suits would make me look fat, though.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Mr Thingy said:

That's a really nice image. I found myself poring over it for a few minutes to take in all the details. 

Me too, it looks so real and solid it’s as though you could lift it off the screen and roll it around in your hands.

I’m not envious, absolutely not, not even the teenie weeniest little bit envious. 🤥

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

That's a great picture 👍 I have taken a few close up's and found myself looking for them in your picture. Just one comment, how did you manage the clear sky? Who did you pay? 😜

• Thanks 1

Nice one. You are to be commended for NOT leaning on the "sharpen" slider until all your nice tonality boiled away!

I'm always torn between full-Moon images like this, and ones that display all that tasty topography and highlights-in-shadow detail by the terminator.

• Thanks 1

I must admit, I'm not usually a fan of the moon. Even then, I prefer the terminator shadows from a partially illuminated moon. But beggers can't be choosers, and last night was one of the few clear night in a while.

The T adapter had arrived earlier that day, so this was literally the first time I had ever done any prime focus photography. Took a few attempts to get the correct exposure, plus my focusing was done using the zoom in the live view. I had to borrow my daughter's camera, as mine is older and doesn't have a live view or the ability to raise the mirror. I'm still not sure whether the focus could have been better.

Any way, many thanks for the comments. I'm glad it's approved of. But I really was wondering if anyone has some constructive criticism!

• Like 1