NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flaming Star and Tadpoles (IC405 & IC 410) with RASA 8

gorann

This is from early Friday morning. After my first object of the night had disappeared behind the obsy wall, I aimed at these well known and much photographed nebulae in Auriga. Mainly because they were in a good position in the sky and would stay in sight for the rest of the night. The moon was nearly full and I started the exposures around 01.45 and whent to bed. When I looked through the subs it was clear that there was more contrast after around 03.45 and realized that the moon then had gone down. So, I throw away the first two hours and stacked the last 2.7 hours I got until sunrise. Not that the first hours were really bad, it is apparently possible to shoot with the IDAS NBX dualband filter also under a moon light, but they would probably have had a negative impact on the end result. I decided that with these bright nebula and the RASA at f/2, 2.7 hours would probably be quite OK.

Equipment: RASA 8, ASI2600MC (OSC), IDAS NBX dual band (Ha & Oiii) filter, iOptron CEM70. 83 x 2 min at gain 100, -15°C.

Processed in PI and PS. I had to give the blue and green channels an extra stretch to bring out the blue reflection nenulosity in the Flaming Star nebula, as the Ha there was just overwhelming. It was clearly there but it looked a slightly anemic since it is not an Oiii source so I added a bit of my old DSLR/refractor data to that area.

20201127 IC405&IC410 RASA NBX PS38smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 18

Thanks Dave! The filter's bandwidth is probably quite broad. The blue signal was very weak compared to the Ha but is was there so I could bring the "blue figure" out. However, I should have said that I then did add a bit of my old refractor data to the blue figure (edited post now) since it looked a bit anemic with just the RASA data.

Edited by gorann

8 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks Dave! The filter's bandwidth is probably quite broad. The blue signal was very weak compared to the Ha but is was there so I could bring the "blue figure" out. However, I should have said that I then did add a bit of my old refractor data to the blue figure since it looked a bit anemic with just the RASA data.

Thanks... this is such a lovely area, maybe you can add a couple of hours of true colour for the stars and reflection nebula..  How are you getting on with the 6200 camera?

Dave

3 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Thanks... this is such a lovely area, maybe you can add a couple of hours of true colour for the stars and reflection nebula..  How are you getting on with the 6200 camera?

Dave

Only got two images with the 6200 so far since it is sitting on my Esprit 150 and nights have usually not been long and frequent enough to run two obsies. But very clean data and the Esprit manages to fill the sensor without any curvature and much vignetting:

https://www.astrobin.com/c7oa6z/C/

https://www.astrobin.com/7gcoik/B/

• Thanks 1

On 02/12/2020 at 22:07, MartinB said:

An amazing image Gorran.  Perfectly framed and nicely processed.  I know from experience how tricky that flame is to pull out from the Ha.

Thanks Martin. much appreciated!