NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DIGIC 4 V DIGIC 5

nephilim

I'm looking at getting a second hand DSLR for AP, either the EOS600 or 650. The 600 at around £50 cheaper is DIGIC 4 where as the 650 is DIGIC 5. Is there a big difference between the two?
Canon advertise that DIGIC 5 has 75% noise reduction & much faster image processing over DIGIC 4 but I've read that this is only relevant to the JPEG & not the RAW image, so a pretty pointless comparison when it comes to AP.

Thanks.

Edited by nephilim

9 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Digic 5 is faster than Digic 4. The 650D also has a touch screen. I have a 650D for everyday use (not astro) and it is fantastic.

Thanks for the reply mate, I'm not too concerned about a touch screen but speed would be a factor so I think its probably worth the extra £50.

3 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Not sure that faster DIGIC processing has any impact on the download of a 300 second exposure..........?

I would imagine that there is some processing of Raw by the DIGIC, and that each version is an improvement on the previous (??) so go for the 650D.

Michael

Good point. An extra £50 is neither here nor there in this hobby so I'll be going for the 650.

Edited by nephilim