Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Buying a filter

Hi all 

I'm looking to get more detail and nebulosity from my small setup, need some advice buying a camera filter

I'm using an un-modded Canon 550D + Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM lens on a Star Adventurer mount. I have Bortle 4 skies nearby. (i don't have a scope atm) 

Budget is ~ £100 

Any ideas for a filter that would improve my setup? or shall I just aim to get the camera modded? 

Thanks! :)

Likely accidental or normal but the post reads that you expect a filter to give more "nebulosity". They cannot. Any filter removes something - they filter out aspects. In the case of a nebulosity filter they block the not-nebulosity wavelength and allow thorugh only the required ones. And even then they tend to pass only 90-95% so they reduce the ones you want also a little.

The big problem of most DSLR's is they also block a lot of the astronomy interesting Ha wavelength, so the DSLR reduces the amount by far the most.

A Canon blocks some 80% so allowing through only around 20%, and Nikons block some 90% so allow through only some 10%.

You do not say which wavelength it is you want - usually Ha or OIII.

If you added a nebulosity filter what you get is an image of just that narrowish band of wavelengths. Before modifing a DSLR work out if it is worth it. Say this as it seems people will have 2 or 3 modifications made and still have a DLSR that is closer to a dedicated camera but is still not one and the cost is often similar or greater. A modified DSLR is the basic modification, then a replacement filter and later clip in filters for the specified wavelengths.

Ideas are: If you want OIII then get a UHC that is OIII+Hb ONLY, or OIII specific. If you want Ha it is harder as the DSLR has a large effect, but filter wise would have to be a widish I would suggest Ha filter. Wide being not a 3nm NB filter type.

Not sure but check out the Svbony offerings, may not be the greatest but if really tight narrow bands are not totally required then could be a good idea.

• Like 2

On 01/12/2020 at 12:12, KP82 said:

Since you've got the luxury of Bortle 4 skies nearby, the best option for you is to get your DSLR astro-modded and you will get the best results without any filters.

On 01/12/2020 at 12:23, PeterCPC said:

+1 for astro modding.

Ok thx !

how do I go about getting this done? 

Filter removal is enough for leveraging the the amount of Ha captured by the sensor. If you actually go for full spectrum, you will need your own IR/UV filter or else your stars will be bloated.

On 02/12/2020 at 13:33, Kenboy said:

I'll only be using it for astrophotography. 

Filter-wise... you could get one of the dual-narrowband offerings. These allow through Oiii and Ha, and maybe Hb also, while blocking a lot of LP. Cheaper than buying separates, and also quicker to gather data.

Edited by Jm1973