Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Coalsack and Eta Carinae from NZ

Reasonably dark last night, bit of LP behind house.

Usual Canon 350D on fixed photo tripod. 11 subs 20secs @1600 ISO 18mm at F4.0.

Coalsack at centre with Southern Cross adjacent and the 2 bright Pointer stars at the bottom.

Eta Carinae is the pink nebulosity near the top of the image.

11949_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

MD

If we all get up on a table and jump off in the same direction at precisely the same instant, can we alter the tilt of the Earth's axis....? Or will we just have to wait 12000 years for precession to bring this lot into view?

Lovely widefield, the dark really stands out. I've only seen Crux and the surrounding area once, and not at a good dark sky site. :) :)

Yes, I'm enjoying the skies in NZ. Problem is I've only got another 2 months before I have to come back to the UK :crybaby:

Wish I could get my hands on a motorised EQ mount. Imagine what this pic would look like with 20 subs of 3 mins @ 800 ISO !

Slight re-process to bring out a bit more definition - but I'm not working with much data here........

11964_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

MD

Mark

Where will you be going to in NZ?.

The nights are getting darker now as it gets into late summer. You've seen what's possible on a fixed tripod with the skies down here. With the Astrotrac you should be able to get some cracking wide field shots! I look forward to your posts.

Dave

Yes, I'll sure miss that southern sky!

We've got to get back and see what we can do to push on the sale of our house in the UK. I'll also be able to have a play with my astro gear for the frist time in several months - if the UK skies are kind!

Either way we will probably be back in NZ no later than the end September this year. That's another Winter spent in NZ - can't be bad can it?

Hope you manage to get out to Oz this year.

John

Archived