NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beginner/Child introduction

Hi all

I can see this has been asked before (alot), but as I read more it is getting harder to decide.  After a introduction scope for myself and kids (8 & 5), who are showing interest.  I have looked at the Infinity-76P, but decided it was probably too basic and priced where better quality could be had for similar.  Also the SW Heritage 76 - again good, but struggling to find any in stock at the price they should be.  But then i noticed this at Costco (I am already a member) and with a fair discount.  Would this be suitable for us?  I really like the size of it, didnt want anything massive, and the option to add a tripod down the line if needed.  Does this represent good value for money and usability for a beginner/kids?

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas-Leisure/Optics/Telescope-Spotting-Scope/Zhumell-Z114-114mm-Reflector-Dobsonian-Telescope/p/320068

Thanks in advance

For £100 it looks like good value and well worth considering, however, I am not sure if it will be possible to tripod mount this without some DIY solution. I don't see anything about the bottom of the mount being threaded for a tripod, as is the case with the slightly smaller Skywatcher Heritage 100p, and the tube clamp looks like it attaches straight to the mount. It might be possible to remove the clamp and bolt it to a dovetail, but I don't know how easy this would be. 

Additionally, as it is a manual mount the telescope will require regular nudges to counter the earth's rotation. You should consider whether your 5 year old will be able to cope with that. If not, the Skywatcher Heritage Virtuoso 114 is a very similar motorised option (if you can find one in stock). 

Thanks for the reply, I've just stumbled across the Celstron StarSense explorer LT70AZ now and it looks perfect for what we need, and the phone integration is perfect for finding things to see quickly!  Now to find somewhere in stock ...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jammyg said:

Thanks for the reply, I've just stumbled across the Celstron StarSense explorer LT70AZ now and it looks perfect for what we need, and the phone integration is perfect for finding things to see quickly!  Now to find somewhere in stock ...

be worth having a read of this thread then

Also do check your phone is compatible before plunging in.

Stocks are scarce everywhere so worth registering with a few and then you'll get notified when they come into stock. I got my LT70 via Harrisons who happened to have it in stock a couple weeks ago but I think most are out at the moment.

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

be worth having a read of this thread then

Also do check your phone is compatible before plunging in.

Stocks are scarce everywhere so worth registering with a few and then you'll get notified when they come into stock. I got my LT70 via Harrisons who happened to have it in stock a couple weeks ago but I think most are out at the moment.

Did you find the 70 ok?  The LT80 is available to pre order for late November may go for that for a few quid more..  Phone connectivity not an issue. 

The issue with the LT range is the lightweight wobbly mount but once you get it focused and lined up it gives good views. I expect the LT80 will be very similar but a bit brighter being a larger lens. I was tempted to get the 80 but mainly bought it for the starsense unlock key so didn't feel the extra £40 worth it since I have bigger scopes to use.  I've not tried the eyepieces that came with it as I already had better ones to hand, but have used the scope a few times since it arrived, weather permitting and its quite competent especially considering the price point. Nice views of the moon and Jupiter/Saturn. Mars less so but weather hasn't been the best when I've had the opportunity.

Tracking a target tho means small and gentle movements as it has no slow motion control on the azimouth. A bit beyond youngsters perhaps esp a 5YO but you never know till you try. The Starsense is good, works very well unless its very cloudy when it may struggle.

For the youngsters it may help to have a phone at the eyepiece so they can see while you then track the scope, tho that would mean 2 phones unless you swap the phone from the starsense mount to another at the eyepiece, but again you can decide what's the best approach as you go. 

You can improve the experience (view) by getting better eyepieces and star diagonal later on, I use an SVbony diagonal and 7-21mm zoom on the LT70 which work well and are reasonably inexpensive at the moment (discounted on Aliexpress via the svbony store).

• Like 1

just a thought, have you taken a read of this thread:

worth setting expectations as other than the moon everything else will seem quite small and nothing like the glossy pics you see on the box or the web. Nebula will not be big colourful objects as seen via Hubble or photos posted here and elsewhere, more like faint whispy smudges etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

just a thought, have you taken a read of this thread:

worth setting expectations as other than the moon everything else will seem quite small and nothing like the glossy pics you see on the box or the web. Nebula will not be big colourful objects as seen via Hubble or photos posted here and elsewhere, more like faint whispy smudges etc.

So I guess the question is - does anywhere stock Hubbles and how much are they !

Will have a proper look through that link thanks.  I have no huge expectations, and haven't given the kids any either.  I think the moon alone will enthuse them for a while.

Please could you share a link to the mount you mentioned to make the phone screen the eyepiece ?

Many thanks

23 minutes ago, jammyg said:

So I guess the question is - does anywhere stock Hubbles and how much are they !

Will have a proper look through that link thanks.  I have no huge expectations, and haven't given the kids any either.  I think the moon alone will enthuse them for a while.

Please could you share a link to the mount you mentioned to make the phone screen the eyepiece ?

Many thanks

One that gets good comments is the Celestron NexYZ but again stock is a problem or could be. You fit that to the eyepiece and align the phone camera. Very similar to the Starsense carrier which was based on the NexYZ by the look of it.

Edited by DaveL59