SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

good offers at flo

hmmmmmm. decisions, decisions, decisions. :?

there's this

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=C80edr&cat=25

or there's this

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=c6sxlt&cat=25

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

not sure which to go for really.

and i moan at the wife when she takes forever to decide on which shoes to buy, lol. :mrgreen:

It all depends what you are interested in doing with the scope. Both the mounts are the same but the scopes are very different but both excellent in their ways. If it was my 1st scope I'd go for the C6 because it's got decent aperture and will show a wide range of objects well. For imaging though I think the C80 would be a better choice (though I'm not an imager myself) but you would need to add motor drives to the mount.

John

Yes, it would be the C6 for me too! John.

(What about motors for tracking!).

BTW - I've owned the CG5 mount, and it's a good one. Reasonably light, yet very steady. I bought a set of motors for mine (from FLO). Easy to fit, and tracked very well. Very quiet.

Regards,

philsail1

Heres a chart showing equivilent exposure times:

Focal Ratio Equal Exposure Times Equal Exposure Times
f/10 15.4 minutes 30.9 minutes
f/6.3 6.1 minutes 12.3 minutes
f/5 3.9 minutes 7.7 minutes
f/3.3 1.7 minutes 3.4 minutes
f/1.8 30 seconds 60 seconds

I wish I had the funds :)

On the whatis page:

Cameras Compatible with 6" HyperStar Lens

Astrovid Stellacam

Mallincam

Starfish Cameras (11mm or smaller sensors)

Starlight Xpress Cameras (11mm or smaller sensors)

That means it works with the C6, i thought? I've yet to find a price though

Theres also this: http://starizona.com/acb/hyperstar/hyperstar6/hyperstar6.htm

Richie

I'd still go for the C6. If you want a wider field of view you can get an F6.3 focal reducer for the price of a good eyepiece which work very nicely visually and photographically.

Also if you find you enjoy visual as well you will soon exhaust the potential of 80mm of aperture wheras 150mm is enough to last many a lifetime.

John

i've been very tempted to go for one of those altaz goto's (nexstar se6 or slt 130 or similar) as they're easier to set-up. got to hump everything up over load of steps to my garden before i set-up which takes ages and is a real pain in the *beep*!

perhaps i should of mentioned at the mo i have an old 8" newt (remember the helios scopes) on an eq5 mount, and i make 4 trips up and back before i set-up, and more often than not by the time i have set-up the clouds begin to roll in :x .

so thats probably the main reason i'm tempted by the altaz goto's, i can carry the whole thing up in one trip. but then again on the other hand the two deals i mentioned in my first post at flo are exceptionally good deals which is why its even more frustrating making a decision. :?

i've been very tempted to go for one of those altaz goto's (nexstar se6 or slt 130 or similar) as they're easier to set-up. got to hump everything up over load of steps to my garden before i set-up which takes ages and is a real pain in the *beep*!

Hi Tony

For this same reason, I think I'm going to end up getting the SE6 rather than the C6 on the manual mount - even though the C6 is such great value, and a lot cheaper than the SE.

From my point of view, if I use it more, it's a better telescope for me. :)

Setting up an equatorial doesn't take that long. You don't have to do a really accurate polar alignment for regular gazing. Just set the latitude (this can then be locked and left alone until you move or in several million years when plate tectonics has taken its toll) to whatever you're at and line up visually with polaris. There's no need to use a polar scope or star drift, it will still allow you to track for quite a long time with just the RA slow-mo. The poor old GEM is a misunderstood beast.

I can have my scope (a C6-S) in less than 5 minutes from removing the tube assembly from its box.

Archived