Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AR2781 - WL - 7 Nov 2020

vineyard

Hello,

Hope everyone safe & well. 🤞🏾for this vaccine.

I went back to this region as the Sun rotated on a few days.

TV76 on a Solarquest mount, Lunt Herschel wedge, Baader Solar Continuum filter, 2.5x Powermate, ASI120MM mini. Best 5% of c 5k frames. AS!3, imppg & GIMP.

Flipped to make it properly oriented (as per @Rusted suggestion!).

Makes me wish I could capture more of the granularity or texture around the region, but I guess that would need an Ha etalon.

It's safe to assume the Earth could be swallowed whole by the spot on the right?

Stay safe all!

Vin

2020-11-07-1121_6-Sun_lapl6_ap1423_imppg_gimp.png

• Like 7

The surface granulation is definitely a white light feature. Not H-alpha.

This is my own image taken yesterday of the same feature but using a mono camera and 6" refractor.

The forum automatically opens image links:

8.11.2020+14.35+wl.jpg

While this amazing image link is borrowed from Solar Chat forum: Captured by Alessandro Bianconi of Italy on the same day:

https://solarchatforum.com/download/file.php?id=48607

13656587_AlessandroBianconisolarchatforumrsz600.jpg.0f670357fa1d1676d40fdfeff6d89398.jpg

Seeing conditions [first] skill at processing [second] camera [third] and instrument [fourth] all play a part.

Seeing conditions are  by far the most important. Best in early morning and late afternoon over grass or water.

Practice, with what you have, regularly enough and you might be lucky enough to catch very transparent and still air.
Your own image is superb in displaying the fine detail in the spot group.
I was advised on this same forum to use fewer frames and to stack fewer images.
75 stacked out of 500 frames works for me.

The longer your capture time the greater the chance of image movement:
Tracking error, thermal shaking, object rotation and wasted frames which do not contribute quality to the stack.
Try it and see if you can catch that magical day when it feels like you are in [unlikely] orbit around the sun.

vins sun sharpened in ph f.jpg

Edited by Rusted
Image added.
  • Like 3

Thanks @Rusted - those are v helpful tips! Btw I don't know what you did to my image but the difference in definition is palpable. I like the granulation on your image - it drives home how big the Sun actually is when you see the granulation just stretching out forever making the spots look quite small (the Sun just feigning indifference to a couple of freckles on its face 😄).  As for Bianconi's image, wow what on earth (?) did he capture that with - stick some stalks on it & it could be a Van Gogh study.

• Haha 1