NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NexStar 8SE - Cannot GoTo selected object

Hello.  I am a newbie to Astronomy but very excited with my new Celestron NexStar 8SE.

I setup the telescope and followed the "Solar System" Alignment to align - used Jupiter which was clearly visible. The message came back "Alignment Successful".

Then when I want to directly view another planet like Mars and I choose that from the hand control option, the telescope move vertically towards to the approximate latitude  of Mars, then stalls for a second, and then instead of moving longitudinally (left or right) it continues to move vertically until it cannot move any more as the eye piece is blocked by the base mount. 

Ny first instinct is the fact I am using AA batteries and they might be weak. I replaced with brand new batteries but no luck. I have ordered the Celestron 12V DC adapter today as a backup to fix this issue.

Does anyone have any other ideas or tips or suggestions to help fix this issue ? 

Thank You !

Jay.

Check you have entered the date in the correct format.

Skywatcher for example need it to be entered in USA format so its month day then year.

So there are 2 options for the 2 November date , one is  02/11/20 , the other is 11/02/20 , confirm which one your mount uses.

I have a computerised telescope as well (Nextar 127slt), mine works perfectly for me. First, try use Sky Align or Two star Align (preferably Sky Align) to have a more accurate tracking. 2. I have the 12-dc adapter and the appropriate power bank, and the power seems a little stronger. 3. If it said alignment successful then the tracking should be correct.

Does it happen over and over when you try to look at mars? if it does then maybe contact mail@celestronsupport.com or your retailer.

I have had this happen with my CPC800.  Never found out why, but some time later I had to replace a failed battery in the power pack I was using to power the mount.

If you have to use AA cells, buy a premium brand, e.g. Duracell.  Budget cells don't work.

Unless you level the mount very accurately, the accuracy of the Solar System align will be poorer than a two-star align.

If you set the OTA tube correctly in the clamp (fully forward) the eyepiece should not collide with the mount at high altitude.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

As Geoff said, use premium cells, not rechargeables as they have a lower charged voltage, and preferably that 12V Mains Adapter.

Try a Goto Saturn from Jupiter, does that work?

That's a short slew that doesn't strain the cells much, and will prove your setup is correct.

Michael

You're better off aligning on stars rather than solar system objects when you can. As others have said, make sure you use the USA date format (11/04/2020), and make sure you've got your longitude and latitude right.

If you align on Mars, rather than telling it to go to another object, manually slew to another part of the sky and then tell it to go back to Mars. If that consistently works fine, the mechanics, power etc are likely okay, it's probably the positioning or time that's wrong somewhere. If it can't go back to where you aligned it that sounds like trouble.

If the scope has clutches on the alt and az, make sure they are nice and tight. Occasionally I forget to tighten mine fully and they slip slighty causing mischief.

Oh, welcome aboard SGL Jay. Good to have you with us.