Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Small Refractors

I recently (lat year) had a Celestron branded ST102 F/5 achromat for a while. It's the same thing as the Skywatcher Startravel 102 but in black. It's peformance at low to medium magnifications was better than I expected. The star test was very good and the CA no more than I would have expected from an 102mm F/5 achromat. The focuser did what was needed as well ie: held the diagonal and eyepiece steady and moved it in and out smoothly.

I wish I'd kept it but I'm on a 3 scope limit agreement with my other half and I already have 6 ........ :rolleyes2:

I have to also confess to having an excellent Vixen ED102SS F/6.5 which is not a lot heavier or larger than the ST102, gives a true field of 4 degrees and will also perform well at 200x plus so no excuses really.

I just like playing around with different scopes though ......

vixst201.JPG

Edited by John

9 hours ago, John said:

just like playing around with different scopes though ......

i think i put myself in that bracket too , John . I've had some really nice scopes in my time of serious interest in this great hobby (some of which i honestly regret parting with ) But now i am cool with the idea of less expensive equipment and what those scopes can produce ..its almost like a challenge especially to image and view with theoretically , shall we say , less capable equipment and , for me , so much more satisfying than having a great scope that doesn't perform as you think it should. ( i hasten to add the reason is more than likely the user rather than the scope ) . 

• 2 months later...
On 03/11/2020 at 09:00, Stu1smartcookie said:

I am particularly heartened to read that ! It gives me hope that i actually can achieve a 6 scope haul lol :)

Hi @Stu1smartcookie

I've just spotted this post and wondered if you bought either of the 90/500 achromats you were looking at? The Omegon is currently on sale at £230 which seems to be a decent price, cheaper than the Svbony. Read a couple of dubious things about the Svbony ebay store so not keen to go down that route. I'm also waiting to see when the Bresser AR-102 S comes back into stick anywhere.  

6 minutes ago, Marc1964 said:

I've just spotted this post and wondered if you bought either of the 90/500 achromats you were looking at?

Hi Marc, still haven't bought the elusive small refractor ... i did revisit the svbony yesterday .. yes some negativity but also some very positive comments